Vortex Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Might be heading out to Vortex Springs next weekend. What is the temp of the water/air ?? what wetsuit thickness is appropriate ??

Thank You

Water - approximately 70-72 degrees F
Air - Varies with the weather

Wetsuit - depends upon the person, a 3/2 or 5/3 will work depending upon your cold tolerance. This time of year I'd certainly recommend a hood.

I went a few week ago and it was 66-68 (the water) definetly a 5/4 temp for me.

The air temp is guaranteed to be cooler this weekend.

Air temps in the 50-60sF this weekend, water temps in the high 60sF. I do pretty well with a 3mm full wetsuit, 2.5mm hood, and gloves as long as the air temp is somewhat mild during the SI.

If the surface temps are too cold they tell you to come into the shop dripping wet and all to warm-up. I was there a few weeks ago with eanxgirl and was told to come in wetsuit and all after my dive to warm up. Surface temps were 40 degrees or so. I was fine in a 5/3 with a hood.

Matt

Water temp by the cave entrance is a constant 68 degrees. However in the winter the water in the bowl away from the main flow is more in the 65 to 66 range.

I agree that the coldest part is the surface interval. Carry a blanket to wrap in and do not take your wetsuit off between dives. The total pits is putting on a wet wetsuit in the cool air. We also took a tarp and made a windbreak which made life good. You can plan your dives together so you can do your ten minutes sitting at the pier in neck deep water.

Take your suit to the room and hang it inside out to dry at night. Of course, a dry suit solves all these problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom