Vortex Springs Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toolbox-13

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
Just got back from Vortex Springs and I had a great time. We did 4 dives saturday and 2 dives sunday. The weather was great and the water was a toasty 68 coming from a yankee it was like summertime back home. They had a bunch of folks doing checkout dives so the vis in the shallows was about 10' but the cavern was 25'-50' vis so I spent most of my time there. The Cavern is awsome and we did a night dive saturday with the moonlight it was just soo cool. I met a bunch of great folks and will be going back to take my cavern/cave intro course in May got a trip to Key West in 2 weeks so that will be great.

Toolbox-13:
Hello all,
Just got back from Vortex Springs and I had a great time. We did 4 dives saturday and 2 dives sunday. The weather was great and the water was a toasty 68 coming from a yankee it was like summertime back home. They had a bunch of folks doing checkout dives so the vis in the shallows was about 10' but the cavern was 25'-50' vis so I spent most of my time there. The Cavern is awsome and we did a night dive saturday with the moonlight it was just soo cool. I met a bunch of great folks and will be going back to take my cavern/cave intro course in May got a trip to Key West in 2 weeks so that will be great.
Did I read that right? You are going to take your cavern and intro at Vortex Springs? If thats the case, I would highly recommend taking these courses in cave country. Vortex is too 'friendly' of a cave up to the grate...doesn't really give you the right experience.
At any rate just my .02. I know a great Cavern/Intro instructor that won't charge an arm and a leg. If you interested send me a PM.

nice report

Hey Toolbox,

I've never been to Vortex, being a new diver, but I plan to go this summer.

I have been told that camping there can be a pretty bad experience due to a lot of drunks partying all night. Nothing against the drink - I partake myself, but I do like to sleep also.

What was your experience?

Thanks, Beck

Did you camp or rent one of the cottage type affairs or go in the dorms? We were contemplating a weekend up there, or a day if we were visiting family in Tally. Didnt know much about the rowdiness, we found similar troubles at Ginnie til just after midnight - there were other issues that night as well - it was 40F, we didnt have any sleeping mats and so were cold in the morning and not so comfortable - at least next time we know what to expect.

As for cavern and intro, they do a nice job around Ginnie and Peacock i hear. We are probably going to hit those two with our instructor later this year and into next for that.

There is plenty of drunken roudiness and loud truck engines till around 2AM on the weekends. I didn't have a problem with it, but you may want to use the bunkhouse instead.

I agree that the cave is a bit wanting for an intro class. Fine for cavern though.

If you dive the Vortex cavern you should really check out the Morrison cavern. It is right down the road and is very pretty.

Peter

Now these were bunkhouses and tents, what about the cottage things they have? We can always drive back to Tally in 2 hours or so, so have a bed there, but enjoy that diving first thing idea!!

Hello All,
I didn't camp there yet we got a hotel room right up the road it was only 5 minutes from Vortex and if the routyness bothers you that is a option. I just didn't have all the camping gear to go that route but I may give it a try next time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom