Vortex Question and Answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you scroll up, I posted a link to that at post #92 of this thread
Post #92

It's the same link that Parysa posted.
Mike, Doc here, I managed to get to Sam Miller with your help but could not send him pictures of Ted Nixon and myself because I don't know how on this site. Maybe he will give me his email address then it will be e-z. Anyway to all who are concerned, our THANKS. Doc And Ruth Dockery

Doc. If you post them on any website, such Photobucket.com you can then put them up on here using the tag.

for example. I found this pic of you at [url]http://www.fatboyscuba.com/divepicture2.jpg[/url]

I can put it up with

[plain][img]http://www.fatboyscuba.com/divepicture2.jpg[/plain]

like this.

divepicture2.jpg

You can also add them to any thread as an "attachment" in the reply process on the 'go advanced' button. (look for it below all the icons you can post)

If you have the pics at a URL and can post it in the thread it should be enough... or feel free to PM it to me and I can make it appear in the thread as above if you're not comfortable with figuring out how to do it.

Mike, Doc Here, O.K. I'll give it a shot. Both pictures were taken about two days apart. It's at the I.M.A. boat show in Flint. About 1953 circa, but we displayed at that show for many years. My company was "Divers Supply Inc." which is now Vortex Spring Inc. soon to be merged with Vortex Innerspace Products Inc. It gets complicated. Ted worked for us after the first flag was discovered to be a flag of Austria and we changed ours to be the diagonal white stripe over a field of red. 5 incremants long, 4 increments wide with one increment white stripe diagonal from top left to bottom right. There were only about a dozen flages being used by the Pescadores club. I was working in a GM plant days and going to GMI nights. Running my little garage Dive shop and working for Etna Life and Marine insurance as a commercial Diver part time. Ted became a member of the club and worked part time as a sales rep. for US Divers and also worked for Divers Supply Inc. as a summer vendor at the "shanks gravel pit" Durand Michigan. His job was to rent Diving equipment, float tubes and fill tanks. When he went full time with US Divers after a couple of years he took our flag with him and sold them clear across the country. He got a 20% commision and did very well. We never tried to protect our creation only promote it. Ted had family problems and finally moved to California and I heard he filed bankruptcy. Doc (Sorry the pictures did not upload......) I'll post this anyway and try another way later, Time for a beer, Doc

Mike, Doc Here, O.K. I'll give it a shot. Both pictures were taken about two days apart. It's at the I.M.A. boat show in Flint. About 1953 circa, but we displayed at that show for many years. My company was "Divers Supply Inc." which is now Vortex Spring Inc. soon to be merged with Vortex Innerspace Products Inc. It gets complicated. Ted worked for us after the first flag was discovered to be a flag of Austria and we changed ours to be the diagonal white stripe over a field of red. 5 incremants long, 4 increments wide with one increment white stripe diagonal from top left to bottom right. There were only about a dozen flages being used by the Pescadores club. I was working in a GM plant days and going to GMI nights. Running my little garage Dive shop and working for Etna Life and Marine insurance as a commercial Diver part time. Ted became a member of the club and worked part time as a sales rep. for US Divers and also worked for Divers Supply Inc. as a summer vendor at the "shanks gravel pit" Durand Michigan. His job was to rent Diving equipment, float tubes and fill tanks. When he went full time with US Divers after a couple of years he took our flag with him and sold them clear across the country. He got a 20% commision and did very well. We never tried to protect our creation only promote it. Ted had family problems and finally moved to California and I heard he filed bankruptcy. Doc (Sorry the pictures did not upload......) I'll post this anyway and try another way later, Time for a beer, Doc

Might want to post all of tha over in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/non-diving-related-stuff/159447-scuba-symbol-owned-anyone.html thread.

Doc.....reading about your history and your long experience in the dive industry is really neat. It is obvious that you love diving and always have. Your efforts at Vortex and your ability to make a living out of something you love it cool.

It is clear that you have a pretty big p***ing match going with the people who purchased your Vortex business. I have never seen the sales contact, but you apparently have absolute legal authority to do what you are currently doing with regard to the free admissions thing. Otherwise, they would have ALREADY slapped a restraining order on you.

You have been in the diving business for a long time. With that vast experiencre, you KNOW that if this continues for the long run, the new owners will be financially unable to continue their business. There is no way they can economically compete with your "no charge" option. They will have to continue to reduce their prices until there is not enough revenue left to make the business sustainable. Maybe you are just mad enough at them that such an outcome will delight you. The important note is....what you are doing, while perfectly within your legal rights, is hurting others.

I operate an inland training operation in Alabama. I have been a customer of yours for eight years. During more than 1/3 of the year, my only REASONABLE weekend training option is Vortex springs. When it ceases to be an economically feasible business, I will loose my reasonable training option, as will MANY of your previous customers from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and places north.

While you may be perfectly within your LEGAL rights to do what you are doing, please stop it. Stopping this p***ing match will GREATLY benefit the people you like; in fact the benefit will far outweight the harm you are delivering to those who you don't like. Do a good thing for diving....just like you have been doing for over 50 years. Let the people run their business without harrassment.

From a friend,
Phil Ellis

Sam Miller has a spam filter on his real e-mail address and you have to ask him to add you to his address book for an e-mail to go through. I will try and find the address but it has been a while. I

Best route is to private message him on this board. If he has the chance to be proven wrong he probably won't answer.

It would be nice for a Mod to split this hijack off the Vortex Question and Answer and put it in its own thread.

Shane, and Vortex Staff;

I'd like to extend a gigantic "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!" on behalf of all the participants of "Vortoberfest III".

We had a magnificient time!!! We would also like to express our joy in your joining in the festivities and getting Mr. Kelly to come down and meet us.

I along with Yellow Angel Fish, would like to thank you personally for the courtesy and customer service you extended us.

Thank you for allowing us to continue, what I hope to be, a tradition that will recur for many years to come.

Once again, thanks a million !!!

Ein Prosit ! ! !

The Kraken

All I can say is, What he said^^^

Thanks a bunch. It was good meeting you,your wife and Mr. Kelly. See ya next year. Well, Probably before then, But Vortoberfest IV for sure.

Back
Top Bottom