Vortex Expanding. new airstrip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's like saying its ok to drive drunk. I'm only going up the road. . They are alot of restricted airspace between Vortex and Destin. 1000 feet all the way to Destin is unlikely. 1500-2000 is more ideal. This just my .02 I mean no disrespect.

If you ever get bent, be sure to tell the EMS crew you want to drive to the chamber, not fly in the helicopter...

One of the things that Shane did when he was there was coordinate with the local "med flight" for a landing/extraction area.

They came out and determined a safe landing area, took exact GPS coordinates, and formed a emergency MedFlight plan for the location.

Eglin has LOTS of MOA restrictions all around it (between Destin and Vortex). But I'm pretty sure that a MedFlight can get some priority routing. :D

One of the things that Shane did when he was there was coordinate with the local "med flight" for a landing/extraction area.

They came out and determined a safe landing area, took exact GPS coordinates, and formed a emergency MedFlight plan for the location.

Eglin has LOTS of MOA restrictions all around it (between Destin and Vortex). But I'm pretty sure that a MedFlight can get some priority routing. :D

I've flown a small plane thru that MOA (with permission of course) and it can be quite exciting. I look forward to Vortex having an airstrip.

The plan was to be able to have people fly up from Destin for a different type of Florida. That type of flying is okay after diving because the airplane isn't likely to get more than 1000 feet of altitude
I took this comment as. A diver flying up and have a dive then flying back home. Then HOPING not to get over 1000 feet. Is that a risk worth taking?

If you ever get bent, be sure to tell the EMS crew you want to drive to the chamber, not fly in the helicopter...
If I get bent I wouldn't care how I get to a chamber!
One of the things that Shane did when he was there was coordinate with the local "med flight" for a landing/extraction area

Thats great they have a dedicated lz for a med flight. I'm sure a med flight has some priority to a point.

My concern wasn't a med flight helicopter. it was flying after a dive with in a 12hr window and not going over 1000ft. They are a lot of MOA and Restricted areas with minimum altitudes ranging from 700-1200 feet. I'm sure ATC don't give a crap if you just dove when they tell you a altitude they want you at.

Last edited:
I've flown a small plane thru that MOA (with permission of course) and it can be quite exciting. I look forward to Vortex having an airstrip.

I have also made this trip many of times. Exciting is being nice!:D I'm sure your trip wasn't below 1000agl. It would be nice to have a strip at Vortex.

I took this comment as. A diver flying up and have a dive then flying back home. Then HOPING not to get over 1000 feet. Is that a risk worth taking?

The original plan as I heard it was to fly visitors back and forth between Destin and Vortex, not home. If there are scheduled flights, there isn't going to be any hoping. The flight plans would already be filed.

If I get bent I wouldn't care how I get to a chamber!

You better care. The closest chamber is 2 hours by ground from Vortex. That's less than an hour by helicopter. We just flew a diver out from Jackson Blue last weekend to Tallahassee.

My concern wasn't a med flight helicopter. it was flying after a dive with in a 12hr window and not going over 1000ft. They are a lot of MOA and Restricted areas with minimum altitudes ranging from 700-1200 feet. I'm sure ATC don't give a crap if you just dove when they tell you a altitude they want you at.

Do you really believe this would be something just thrown together without prior planning?? I'm sure before any money is spent flight plans for prescheduled times will already be approved and the altitude already determined. :shakehead:

Do you really believe this would be something just thrown together without prior planning?? I'm sure before any money is spent flight plans for prescheduled times will already be approved and the altitude already determined.
The strip is a good idea. It would be great for people all over the states.

Sir I apologize for my ignorance. As a aviator I felt I was some what qualified for this discussion. As a new diver with being taught not to fly for atleast 12-24 hrs. I felt your comment of "This type of flying being ok". Was bold from an Instructor. You may be smarter than my instructor. Again My Apology!

I plan on coming to Vortex for Vortober fest. Maybe we can meet and have a drink.

Sorry to Hijack this thread.:D

No need to apologize, but all flying after diving is not dangerous. It's commercial flying after diving. Most DCS cases are flown to the chamber by helicopter. Low altitude will not have nearly the effect that delaying treatment will. This is not only spoken as an instructor, but also as a critical care nurse.

Unfortunately, Vortoberfest was scheduled at the same time I'll be on a liveaboard diving the Oriskany.

one of the funnier things I've seen at Vortex was on the dock and a bunch of swimmers decided it would be fun to "dive bomb" divers with a "cannonball" on top of them in the water and how the diver reacted.

well one of the divers got tired of it and grabbed one of the swimmers and held onto their ankle for a few short seconds. .

Heh! Heh! good one! A buddy of mine was in Ginnie and folks in a canoe kept getting uncomfortably close to the divers with paddle blades. It's really easy for a diver wearing tank and weights to capsize a canoe. Some paddlers went for a swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom