Vortex and Morrison Springs 1-29-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda:
I'm gonna try some booties in my fins as well - can't hurt.

I didn't think anything of you wearing the full-foot fins when we were diving the jeddies in the summer/fall. The thought of diving the springs with bare feet always got me cold though!

SeaYoda:
The Destin Jetties may be calling my name on the 12th - high tide is 11:31 AM.

Thats a hellovan idea for Saturday :D

I think I am on duty at the fire station the 12th so it doesn't look like I will get to dive that weekend, but I am going to try to get someone to cover my shift for me. If I don't get to dive that weekend I won't be diving back in Florida until March 12 I've got 2 open water diver courses starting on the 19th.

SuPrBuGmAn:
...The thought of diving the springs with bare feet always got me cold though!
My feet were not cold at all - just cramps in my legs. I was a little chilled at the end of the first dive but warmed up as we started moving on the second. My legs just started cramping with no overall discomfort from the cold. Maybe it was early stage hypothermia or something - The cramps went away once we were in the boat on both of our trips. Strange! It can't hurt to feel warmer on the dive no matter what.

Rick Murchison:
...I wish more of y'all could have made it....
We'll keep trying - thanks for the invitation.

Dive Report - Vortex Spring

The Hodagg bunch woke up bright and early Saturday morning, loaded up the truck and headed south toward Ponce de Leon. Mornings are always wonderful, a colorful sunrise marking the beginning of a new day – a new opportunity for adventure. Oops, this particular Saturday there was only a grey cloud in the Eastern sky – no sun - no where. Uncle Bersie sat rubbing his beard and all the kids just kind of sulked as the vehicles sped southward in hope of something brighter.
Then – as if Mother Nature offered her apology – there it was. The roadside lined with trees covered by magical white softness – what light there was glistening through crystals. We hadn’t experienced the joys of hoarfrost since Sunday morning walks along the Rhine. The magnificence of acres and acres of trees, their limbs bowing to weary travelers and sending a loud and clear message, “There is good and beauty, even on the bad days. If all were perfect, there would be no adventure!” We watched the thermometer on the rearview and realized that as we neared the Florida the ambient temperature had risen to 36 degrees F. up from 33 when we left home. “A virtual heat wave,” we thought.

After the traditional sour apple blow-pop at Pinkards and breakfast at Hardee’s in Elba, we were burning with anticipation. We looked eagerly at the water level in the Choctawhatchee in hopes that Morrison Springs might be divable. Alas, no such luck, the muddy water reached far into the forest as it sped south faster than us.

Finally at Vortex, Mother Nature gave us another treat. Sixty-eight degree water freely gave up its steam to the less than 40 degree air. The winter sauna effect left us gazing in awe and remarking about its beauty. With every good thing there is a bad so Mother had to throw in the wind. It was bone chilling, misery making, non-stopping, aggravating wind that could have just as well stayed at home.

We met SuprBugMan in the dive shop – what a hearty soul. “I’m ready to go diving,” he said with glee. And diving we did, but only after constructing a wind break to get dressed behind. The water actually felt warm if you can imagine that. Bersie and Bug-Man, Lu-Lu, and me and Chuck all in a row. Bug-Man and Chuck in three-mil wetsuits, the rest cozy and warm and dry.

Lu-Lu had new toys – new toys are one of life’s joys. This was the maiden voyage for both her Transpac and her HID light. Straight for the cave we went and cruised directly to the gate. Satisfied that it was still there we slowly drifted back to daylight. Once or twice around the bowl and Lu-Lu’s morning coffee reminded her that she needed to get out if she wished to remain dry. “I long for the day that someone invents plumbing for the girls,” she remarked. One lady in the dive shop talked about being able to go three times before her Depends leaked. Lu-Lu loudly proclaimed “YUK!!” at just the thought of it. Anyway, 50 minutes after we started it was time to get out. I knew we were in trouble when I reached my hand out of the water to grab the rail. I remember thinking, “its cold up there, I don’t want to go up there!” Lu-Lu reminded me in Sea Signs ASL that the urge was more powerful than the consequence so we got out. As I stood on the steps I inflated my suit like the Michelin man and surprisingly enough, didn’t get cold except for my hands.

After dark we dined on steaks, sweet potatoes, stir fried vegetables, baked beans, and Lu-Lu’s famous ice-box pie. Tim had a roaring fire and we toasted marshmallows. Laughing and talking and sharing tall-tales – most of which we had heard before but they’re still funny.

And on Sunday morning – the sun came out and the wind stopped. Life was good!

I split the discussion on tide tables and diving the jetties off to this new thread in the Oceanography forum.
Rick

Great report Tom :D

No dives on Sunday? Rick, you go back in Saturday? - it seemed as though you and one of your friends(the family who showed up late - didn't really meet em) were gonna go hit the cave in the afternoon.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great report Tom :D

No dives on Sunday? Rick, you go back in Saturday? - it seemed as though you and one of your friends(the family who showed up late - didn't really meet em) were gonna go hit the cave in the afternoon.
Yes, we did the cave Sat PM and again Sunday morning. Vortex's cave isn't very long (at least the part I'm willing to dive) but it has some beautiful structure and is always enjoyable.
Rick

I've never been past the sign, not even to the bend - so I really don't know whats there other than what I've read here. Glad you weren't cheated from the cave on my behalf :D

I was there, but was helping out with an OW class, and also my gf just started diving, and my free time was spent with her and helping her over come all the things a new diver has to over come. I wish I could have met up with you all. Sounds like I will be back again the last weekend in Feb.

I would like to check out that cave, but my gf isnt ready for that. I stuck my head inside just for a quick peek, and then came back out. Maybe next time.

The pleasure of meeting you far outweighs the cave any day. It was so great to have you spend the day socializing with us. We hope to have you join us as well as us joining you many times over. Don't know what we will do in Feb but we have class weekend March 5 and 6.

Then we have a group going to Bonaire March 19 to 26 -

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've never been past the sign, not even to the bend - so I really don't know whats there other than what I've read here. Glad you weren't cheated from the cave on my behalf :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom