Volunteer State Meet and Greet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the viz like? i might be game.

slbrous:
I'd love to, if y'all don't mind someone from just across the border (Florence, Alabama.) Any dates are good for me.

I think I speak for all the Tennesseans when I say you are more than welcome to join. Besides, we all know Huntsville is just deep south Nashville... so we can consider Florence part of Tennessee too. Maybe you can hitch a ride with that mike_s guy... he will surely be looking for an excuse not to come, so maybe if someone rides with him he will make it.

DawgDiver:
What's the viz like? i might be game.

You definately wont mistake Martha's for a Florida Spring, but its pretty good that early in the year. The best time to hit it, from what I understand, is before the algae gets there. Last time I went early in the year it was prob 20-30 foot vis. Near the end of the summer itll get worse. Also, we can hopefully catch it when its still too cold for most divers... then we can have the place to ourselves. You should definately come Dawg. Its well worth the drive. Probably my favorite quarry.

utdivermatt:
You definately wont mistake Martha's for a Florida Spring, but its pretty good that early in the year. The best time to hit it, from what I understand, is before the algae gets there. Last time I went early in the year it was prob 20-30 foot vis. Near the end of the summer itll get worse. Also, we can hopefully catch it when its still too cold for most divers... then we can have the place to ourselves. You should definately come Dawg. Its well worth the drive. Probably my favorite quarry.

If you say so... I'l try and plan on making it.

Dawg,

Marthas' is full of old rock crusher buildings and the conveyor belts between the buildings. Cool swim throughs... it's really neat. You won't be able to swim through underwater buildings many other places.

mike_s:
Dawg,

Marthas' is full of old rock crusher buildings and the conveyor belts between the buildings. Cool swim throughs... it's really neat. You won't be able to swim through underwater buildings many other places.

He isnt talking small buildings either. These are 3 and 4 story beasts of buildings. With huge gears and equipment still inside to explore and play with. And conviently a whole lot of openings, making it fairly safe for everyone. The buildings are really incredible. Better than anything else I have seen in a quarry. Oh man I cant wait for this trip. (Yes, I get excited about quarry dives... harrass away)

Ok, sounds cool! Count me in. Is there camping or anything on site?

how much is it to get in, tank rentals, etc etc

DawgDiver:
Is there camping or anything on site?

There is nothing on site, but maybe if someone asked they would allow some campers for the night. The guy that owns it seems like a pretty good guy everytime I have had the chance to talk to him. If not, there are a few hotels down the road, that offer pretty good rates, especially if split. My instructor does checkout dives, and uses one of the hotels. There is a pretty good Mexican place down the street.

I will be staying about 45 minutes away or so in Murfressboro. My brother lives there, and they have three cats that I love playing with. So yeah, you guys lose me to the cats. Sorry.

DawgDiver:
how much is it to get in, tank rentals, etc etc

Fred usually charges $20 to get in , but I think he raised his prices this past year. It's $30 now... But I think out of that $30 he donates $10 bucks of it to some orphanage, so it goes to a good cause. You can pick up cheaper $20 entrance passes at any of the LDS's in the area, but call first to make sure they actually have them "in stock".

As for rental tanks, maybe someone else can answer that for sure. I've been told he's had them and also he hasn't, but I've been there before and he hasn't had them. I'd bring some. If I can make it the same weekend you're coming up, I can bring spare tanks. (just let me know if you want air or nitrox, etc so I'll know which tanks to bring)

I think he got a new(er) compressor also and finally got rid of that old diesel compressor he had mounted in a school bus. so no more diesel fumes in your tanks. (maybe). I'm not sure if he's doing o2 clean fills though or nitrox blended fills.

Matt is right... the buildings are huge. Many have open sides for equipment access, so it's got lots of openings. You'll still want to bring dive lights so you can see better.

mike_s:
Fred usually charges $20 to get in , but I think he raised his prices this past year. It's $30 now... But I think out of that $30 he donates $10 bucks of it to some orphanage, so it goes to a good cause. You can pick up cheaper $20 entrance passes at any of the LDS's in the area, but call first to make sure they actually have them "in stock".

As for rental tanks, maybe someone else can answer that for sure. I've been told he's had them and also he hasn't, but I've been there before and he hasn't had them. I'd bring some. If I can make it the same weekend you're coming up, I can bring spare tanks. (just let me know if you want air or nitrox, etc so I'll know which tanks to bring)

I think he got a new(er) compressor also and finally got rid of that old diesel compressor he had mounted in a school bus. so no more diesel fumes in your tanks. (maybe). I'm not sure if he's doing o2 clean fills though or nitrox blended fills.

Matt is right... the buildings are huge. Many have open sides for equipment access, so it's got lots of openings. You'll still want to bring dive lights so you can see better.

Since Mike obviously hasnt been diving at Marthas since the stone age... I will try to clear some of this up.

What he says about admission is true, supposing it doesnt change since the end of last year. $30 at the spot or $20 though a dive shop. Somehow we will try to figure a way to get vouchers for everyone. Im all for a good cause, but I am in college, so $10 is alot, especially over a weekend.

I want to say rental tanks are $15 and fills are $7 (did anyone else just say ouch?). When I was coming up from Huntsville, I would stop at DiveSports and stock up on tanks, because their tank rental was cheaper than the quarries fills. There is a dive shop a few exits down the interstate though, so we may be able to work out fills and rentals there (maybe vouchers too.. see how many birds we can take out with one stone). His tanks are steel 80's (or 80ish), just to give him a little credit for the price.

Hey Mike... you going to offer me any tanks too?

I wouldnt trust his airfills in tanks I own (when I own them). He has a compressor, but I am pretty sure it is diesel, and fairly shady looking. No nitrox, and I seriously doubt O2 clean.

As for lights, bring a couple and some batteries. If you dive with me I will spend most of my time in there, enjoying nice long trips in them. Without a light it really isnt as interesting. It will be a great time though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom