Volunteer Diver at the National Aquarium in Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is the requirement to be a volunteer diver at the National Aquarium a PADI Open Water certification or a PADI Advanced Open Water certification or equivalent? Someone said the requirement is only Open Water, but it appears on the website as if you need an advanced certification. Any clarification is much appreciated.

From the website
All volunteer dive applicants must be 18 years of age or older and satisfy both of the following prerequisites:

• Possess a scuba certification of Advanced Open Water or higher
  • Proof of at least 30 logged dives

An equivalent to PADI AOW would be SSI Adventure Diver or SDI Adventure Diver. Not familiar with all the other agencies progression chart

AOW or equivalent. Definitely.

Another thing you may want to check is cost and equipment requirements.

We looked at doing one of these types of dives (in Atlanta maybe, not sure...) and discovered it cost big bucks and we could not use any of our own gear (not even a prescription mask).

Another thing you may want to check is cost and equipment requirements.

We looked at doing one of these types of dives (in Atlanta maybe, not sure...) and discovered it cost big bucks and we could not use any of our own gear (not even a prescription mask).
You are talking about diving in the aquarium, as a paid guest. The OP is asking about becoming a volunteer diver, meaning one day every two weeks as a commitment.

Check with Atlantic Edge, they run dives there so likely know - or know the person to contact at the Aquarium to ask.
Aquarium Dive - Atlantic Edge Scuba

I'd go right to the source and ask the aquarium staff. Im sure that they have a person who coordinates volunteers and is up on what their liability requires. Good luck! id love to have such an opportunity nearby.

At the Atlanta Aquarium paid diving guest or staff or volunteer you dive their gear. You can take a mask and a computer but it has to sit in a cleansing tank while they do all the paperwork and pre-dive briefings. This is what I was told by a veteran volunteer at the aquarium. Oh and you can not pack a weapon, even off duty LEO. Just FYI.

Why do you need a computer? Tank dives are shallow, you won't have enough air to get into deco (even if deco is even possible at that depth). Say the tank is 20 feet deep, most of your dive you'll be at 10 to 15 feet. Tanks are small, you'll be moving at fly's pace. An 80cu will be enough for 2 hours. You'll be bored in 30mins.

I'd think I would miss my fins the most, not my mask.

Last edited:
Why do you need a computer? Tank dives are shallow, you won't have enough air to get into deco (even if deco is even possible at that depth). Say the tank is 20 feet deep, most of your dive you'll be at 10 to 15 feet. Tanks are small, you'll be moving at fly's pace. An 80cu will be enough for 2 hours. You'll be bored in 30mins.

I'd think I would miss my fins the most, not my mask.

No one said you NEED a computer. I simply stated that if you would like to take your computer it has to be cleaned the same as an outside mask. There are some people that will want to take their computer to document the dive in their electronic logbook. The GA Aquarium is more in the 30+ foot range so you get the joy of a full atmosphere difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom