Volcano Taal Erupting. Manila Airport Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The folks at Asia Divers in Puerto Galera seem to be carrying on. According to their Monday newsletter, diving is unaffected — they are 50 km away.
It is reasonable to stay tuned, however, regarding Batangas Port, NAIA and Anilao which is closer and downwind. The volcano may well have more to express.

photo credit: Asia Divers/El Galleon resort

Attachments

• 99FA2D15-4F9F-435A-89DB-41596C3ECDE7.png
    99FA2D15-4F9F-435A-89DB-41596C3ECDE7.png
    758.4 KB · Views: 84
So I'll just give a quick update from the news report posted. The wind is expected to change direction on Wednesday. That "may" push ashfall in the direction of Manila. Which will certainly shut down the airport. Among other concerns.

I'm looking at this now myself. I'm supposed to fly out from Manila on Sunday... I'm in Cebu and have to decide if I'm getting on the ferry back to Manila on Friday night or not. Flying from Cebu not only would cost me more one-way than my round trip ticket Guam-Manila, but also a different airline means different baggage rules. I normally fly with a carry-on size pelican case, with my camera, housing, and ports in it... Plus a backpack with my laptop, lenses, tablet etc... It looks like the airlines that fly in and out of Cebu might stop me from carrying that case onboard as it's over their weight limits and they don't allow a carry-on plus a "laptop bag". I've been told by a few people that Philippine Airlines for example, is weighing carry-on's now. Best case I get socked with an extra $100 bucks... worst case I have to buy a seat for my camera case which would make my ticket more than a round trip to the US :D

Can you buy an inexpensive accessory bag like a "laptop" bag. Slung over the shoulders? Put some gear in that to remove weight from the carry on bag. I used that technique to get my carry on just under the weight limit.

They didn't count it as a carry on bag. If you already carry a bag in that fashion then you "might" be stuck. Fingers crossed for Manila International and wind direction. Taal has made another "crapshoot" out of travel hoops.

I remember being stuck on Mindoro because of a typhoon on a trip last year. But that's what makes it "fun" right? :wink:

Edit: in your case a "second" shoulder slung bag.

FT:
The folks at Asia Divers in Puerto Galera seem to be carrying on. According to their Monday newsletter, diving is unaffected — they are 50 km away.

We’re in PG diving with Asia Divers through Monday. Overcast sky but no ash/impact on diving. I’ll update if anything changes

It looks like the airlines that fly in and out of Cebu might stop me from carrying that case onboard as it's over their weight limits and they don't allow a carry-on plus a "laptop bag". I've been told by a few people that Philippine Airlines for example, is weighing carry-on's now. Best case I get socked with an extra $100 bucks... worst case I have to buy a seat for my camera case which would make my ticket more than a round trip to the US :D

Flying out of SFO, Philippine Airlines was pretty ruthless checking/weighing carry on bags when boarding. They do allow a laptop bag but restrict it to 2kg IIRC. I picked up a jacket beforehand with ton of pockets and loaded it with ~20lbs gear - slung it over my arm getting on the plane and they never gave it a second glance

Flying out of SFO, Philippine Airlines was pretty ruthless checking/weighing carry on bags when boarding. They do allow a laptop bag but restrict it to 2kg IIRC. I picked up a jacket beforehand with ton of pockets and loaded it with ~20lbs gear - slung it over my arm getting on the plane and they never gave it a second glance

I've experienced this as well. They allow 7 lbs for carry on. My backpack always weighs more than that but has camera gear as well as my reg set. After explaining that, they've always allowed me. They obviously didn't want the liability for the camera gear....

Yes Philippine Airlines is gaining a reputation for being strict with carry-on... it's one of the reasons I took the ferry to Cebu instead of flying and why I usually avoid flying with them if I can. They specifically state on their website though not to check expensive items like camera equipment so if it becomes an issue then I'll point that out. I think you're right... they don't want the liability.

It's never an issue with United... they seem to only look at size of the carry-on, not weight. I bought my ticket late and ended up flying United here but am flying Philippine Airlines back.

PAL used to be my go-to airlines for SFO to MNL. Last year coming back to the US in July, I was unexpectedly bumped on my flight. They just said "mechanical issues". So PAL put me up in a 4 star hotel with meals and transportation. I didn't mind that so much.

However I asked for a round-trip voucher compensation for being bumped. They told me to submit a written request for that. So I did that and it was "declined". No reason given. That was where PAL made a mistake for having me book with them in the future.

Aircraft quality and service was what I would rate as "good". But bumping me without compensation is a no-go for me.

PAL used to be my go-to airlines for SFO to MNL. Last year coming back to the US in July, I was unexpectedly bumped on my flight. They just said "mechanical issues". So PAL put me up in a 4 star hotel with meals and transportation. I didn't mind that so much.

What?!?! PAL did something right for their customer(s)?? Well that's a first!!!

I agree though, PAL is pretty much the Go-To for direct SFO-MNL..... Only reason I still fly them....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom