Voit 50 worth owning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I use twin 72's for a major part of my diving. For shallow stuff I have a '55 steel 70 that's light in weight and does everything I want it to. Love my LP steels. I mostly use my AL80's for dive rescue as that's what they want to see, but they have crappy buoyancy characteristics.

I use 2 USD steel 50's 1800 psi as one of my solo rigs. I mount them as ID's w/o manifolds. Also use 2 LP72's ID's for longer solo or deeper 100'+ dives. For long, deep / deco dives I use my steel LP90's as ID's, now that's a heavy setup! No lead required, I'm thinking I need to put wooden blocks in my weight pockets! :wink: I used the 50's on the U853 (120') last week, did the dive with plenty of gas left. Those 50's weight 25 lbs each.

Last edited:
There was a reason Mike Nelson's twin fifties, in the scenes out-of-water, were made of balsa wood!

KD8NPB, you won't like the twin 50s at all. You'd rather sit down on a rock or on the beach with a single 80 and balance on the tank's end, or sit in the sand sideways with the single 80 so that you can put your fins on. The weight is such that you shouldn't even consider using them out-of-water. In the water, with a double hose regulator, the single 80 is so much better with that regulator banging your neck and the back of your head, rather than sitting silently down between your shoulder blades. Since they are such a bad setup, you should consider giving them away...to me! :wink:

VintageJohn4.jpg

I'm using my twin 45s, which I dearly love. Yes, they are heavy, but they really ride nicely in the water.

SeaRat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom