viz this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just night dove Ansell. Really poor vis until 25 then you punch through it and it opens up to maybe 15 feet of vis. Had a bunch of seals follow us through the dive.

Nice... My friend saw a 3m sixgill shark over there last year... Did you go left or right side?

P.S. My two cents from Ansell...
PICT0088.JPG

Tom Laura and I dove Porteau today and the vis was the shlitz. I managed to overshoot the wrecks on our first dive and we wound up on the rocks on the north end of the cove (oops). I plan to check that area out when the vis is better, lots of nooks and crannies. Tested out a new dive light (Cree MC-E) and that baby is bright! Second dive was sans BC and I must say, it felt light and breezy going "commando".

Hi Dale,

Is that new light a DIY job? If so, have you described what you put together anywhere?

No Scott it is this light here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/296796-review-cree-mc-e-diving-light.html Stuart T put together a group order for some of us and we just got them. It cost about $100. The one small downside is that there is no lanyard attachment point so I had to tie cave line and tape it down with electrical tape (plus I zip tied it).
Picture2005-1.jpg

Hopefully some of the other guys will post in with their experiences as I know they went out today as well.
BTW, hope your shoulder is mending well.

Concur the viz was not great, but it was fun anyways. Probably actually worse than when I was first out there a few weeks ago. Thanks for guiding. Also that light really is amazing in the soup. Made tailing you quite a bit easier!

Nice... My friend saw a 3m sixgill shark over there last year... Did you go left or right side?

We dove right. In addition to the seals, we saw a 14in long scale worm. Weirdest damn thing that I've ever seen. Two rows of overlapping scales that seemed to move independently. Can't find the specific species after a long internet search. Was purplish brown and the scales were large, like loonies or quarter size and the two rows also overlapped in the middle. :confused:

Dove Whytecliff on Saturday and vis was also crap...

Last edited:

I see, when I goggled Cree MC-E the first page I found was for the LED component itself, so I thought you had built a DIY can light.

Do you have any feel for burn time, and what did you do for the batteries that seem to be an issue in the review?

BTW, hope your shoulder is mending well.

Thanks, It's getting better faster than I or my orthopedic surgeon expected. I may try on my BCD with a tank and weights etc. this week and see how it holds up.

Good to hear about the shoulder.
The batteries came with the kit. I didn't run mine long enough on high power to get a sense of burn time. It has a low medium and high bezel and a strobe feature that will induce seizures.

We did 3 dives off the Sea dragon on Sunday. A wall off Bowen then the "day marker" also off Bowen. I used the new light on all 3 dives (over 3 hours bottom time) and it was still going strong at the end of the 3rd dive. I didn't have it on high the whole time mind you. It is definately bright. My buddy on 2 of the dives has the uk aquasun and this little puppy is brighter. As dale said the only issue is no lanyard hole but there is a groove near the base where I put a lanyard through a zap strap and attatched it that way. We also found the biggest orange peel nudi had to be approx 8x18 inches in size. Unfortunately my pics of it are on my card in my camera at the bottom somewhere as I took my camera out of my pocket for the pics and forgot to put the lanyard on my wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom