Viton Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain12Pk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I read somewhere that one of the physical characteristic differences between Viton and rubber O rings is that one will float in water and one will sink. Unfortunately I don't have either in front of me at the moment and I need to determine if this is true. Additionally, Viton is a Dupont tradename. Do other Viton equivalent materials have the same characteristics?

Kevin

Once you overcome surface tension; viton, buna, and EPDM all sink in water.

Usually, vition is an off colored brown while nitrile is black but not always. The bigger guestion is why? If you purchased them new then you should know what you have and if you a are guessing from an unknow assortment then their durometer is a lot more important than the material they are made of. Unless you are using high concentrations of O2 it is really not a big deal which you use, nitrile are fine for rec nitrox mixes.

But sink at different rates.

You can tell which is which by how fast they sink in water, if you drop both a viton and nitrile into a glass of water at the exactly the same time and see which one hits the bottom first. You got to immerse them before you drop them, to cancel out surface tension, and it works best if both O-rings are the same size, but with a bit of practice you can tell viton from nitrile from epdm reliably.

There was a thread on this here or at the other list once that has more details.

I have to ask, why this question from OP? Just wondering?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom