Question Visual Inspection Expiration Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until you've got 30 plus tanks... You'll need a mortgage for the testing, no doubt an invite to the dive shop's daughter's wedding too.
If you need 30 tanks, the testing is the least of your diving expenses. :D

If you need 30 tanks, the testing is the least of your diving expenses. :D
Need?

They breed if left together for a while. Main issue is different styles of diving require different tins. CCR needs banking cylinders too -- that'll be the 3 twinsets having found a new purpose.

So for the people claiming that industry experts back their statements, I have two questions:
1) what is the proof that they claim this? Seriously, you can't just say "trust me bro"
2) what is the data that shows a statistically significant increase in risk by allowing a maximum of 30 days to the VIP cycle? (i.e., for VIPs performed on the 1st of the month that has 31 days). Maybe we can invite those industry experts into the conversation.

If the shop is really trying to protect itself, it should just VIP on every fill.

But that would be insane and isn't backed by data, now is it?

If I am wrong and someone can provide published data (not claims), I'm happy to Google recipes for crow.

But I can't help think of Amigos Dive Center which may very well eclipse everyone else in terms of volume of gas filled. Now my understanding (I've never been a customer of ADC, but this is what I've been told - so anyone who has/is, please correct me) is that people will pull up after hours, connect up their cylinders and fill their cylinders without anyone checking for VIPs. I'm guessing there is a payment system to accommodate this. If this is true, how often (which we will never know) do people fill their own cylinders with expired VIPs? I don't wish to imply that VIPs don't have value, but rather that the USDOT requirements for hydro are more important. I've been to several countries where cylinders have never been VIPed or hydroed (which I think is dangerous as eventually that cylinder will fail).

If dive centers made the customer hold their tank while it was being filled, I wonder if there would be fewer complaints about VIPs?

Just a joke .... don't get bent out of shape.

If dive centers made the customer hold their tank while it was being filled, I wonder if there would be fewer complaints about VIPs?
If that included shoving it up their rectums to contain the rupture, I would expect so, especially if the fill station has a ruptured tank (one place locally has one). :oops::eek::gas:

So for the people claiming that industry experts back their statements, I have two questions:
1) what is the proof that they claim this? Seriously, you can't just say "trust me bro"
2) what is the data that shows a statistically significant increase in risk by allowing a maximum of 30 days to the VIP cycle? (i.e., for VIPs performed on the 1st of the month that has 31 days). Maybe we can invite those industry experts into the conversation.

If the shop is really trying to protect itself, it should just VIP on every fill.

But that would be insane and isn't backed by data, now is it?

If I am wrong and someone can provide published data (not claims), I'm happy to Google recipes for crow.

But I can't help think of Amigos Dive Center which may very well eclipse everyone else in terms of volume of gas filled. Now my understanding (I've never been a customer of ADC, but this is what I've been told - so anyone who has/is, please correct me) is that people will pull up after hours, connect up their cylinders and fill their cylinders without anyone checking for VIPs. I'm guessing there is a payment system to accommodate this. If this is true, how often (which we will never know) do people fill their own cylinders with expired VIPs? I don't wish to imply that VIPs don't have value, but rather that the USDOT requirements for hydro are more important. I've been to several countries where cylinders have never been VIPed or hydroed (which I think is dangerous as eventually that cylinder will fail).
Yep. I’ve done it myself at Amigos. Hell, you don’t even have to take them out of the car for air/32%. They’ve got whips to fill up to 4 at once.

Amigos is a free for all that shocks anyone who hasn’t been down to FL cave country. Friends at home were shocked. 🤣

Amigos is a model of customer service, and as far as I know has never had an issue with its fill procedures in its 20+ (??) years of experience, and probably upwards of a half million fills, most of which (in steel) are way over "legal" pressure and few if any VIP/hydro checks before the fills.

Having said all that, I think it's worth noting that the party with the biggest stake in the VIP game is PSI (Bill High).

Bingo!!

The one making the money off of the industry’s VIP program is PSI-PCI. They single-handedly created a regulation–like industry in which they are the ‘regulators’ and also happen to have a monopoly on the training of the inspectors, all as a for-profit private business. They very aggressively work to keep any competitors such as other training agencies out of the market.

happen to have a monopoly on the training of the inspectors,

They very aggressively work to keep any competitors such as other training agencies out of the market.
In this case, they have not been successful. They do NOT have a monopoly

But it is a nice conspiracy theory, for those who like such things.

In this case, they have not been successful. They do NOT have a monopoly

But it is a nice conspiracy theory, for those who like such things.

I have a SDI VIP card. I’ve also been told by Mark Gresham, current owner of PSI-PCI, that it’s crap because THEY are the only ones “endorsed, utilized and referred to by the cylinder manufacturers; and recognized by law and rule making entities such as USDOT, TC and Compressed Gas Association. ” I’ve run into it first hand. They work very hard to keep anyone else from training inspectors. When was the last time you were in a dive shop WITHOUT a PSI-PCI sticker touting their trained inspectors? They absolutely have a monopoly on the training of professional inspectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom