Question Visual Inspection Expiration Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if I drop off tanks for a VIS today (the 29th of October) and will pick them up next week (after the first of November), Should I expect the sticker punched October or November? Can I request November?
It should reflect the day in the month it was inspected... Their inspection log is dated and signed. To punch a sticker differently is unethical practice...

I’m basing my assessment solely based upon what you’ve admitted to regarding how you handle your customers VIPs. If they pay for an annual VIP they should of course get 12 months of use of that tank. How you choose to interpret the rules ensures that that doesn’t happen in almost every instance.

You are assuming that I am misguiding or misleading or hiding something from my customers to the point where you make such accusatory and libelous statement. I am upfront about my/our policies and they apply to all. They trust me and they understand my conservative approach. You are giving yourself too much credit thinking that you are the smarter one and my customers are so dumb they would fall for it without understanding it or knowing why. Gosh, you are sooo smart.

Late to the party but ...

There is no expiration date ... there is only an inspection date. :cool:

And any sticker that says it is "good for" or "expires in" a year is a wasted sticker. I'll just leave it at that.

You are absolutly right in that, any stick that says the inspection is "is good for a year" or "expires after one year" or anything else that implies the same, is simply ignorant and shows lack of training and confirming with standards. I am very concerned when I see these stickers.

Interestingly enough, my VIP at the first year after requalification has uncovered a lousy drying job from when the hydro was done...
I have also seen this and now in general I'll get a hydro with no fill so I can visual it before it gets filled. If for some reason I have the lds vis/fill after hydro, after I use the tank, I'll re-vis it to ensure it was good. If anything a visual should be done a month after hydro and then not needed again for a long while (assuming good fills, etc, etc).

Has anyone EVER had their tank not filled if the VIP is due THAT MONTH?
Yes. One local shop agrees with Boltsnap.

Just to add to this - I remember asking this exact question during my VCI (PSI/PCI) class and have a penciled in remark about never getting a full year out of a vis (unless it's done on the first of the month). From the below - the answer is still not clear, but does have a recommendation. This is directly quoted from the Inspecting Cylinders book from the class (5th edition, page 83, authors William L. High and Mark A. Gresham):
"Many consumers and inspectors alike are confused about precisely when the next inspection is due. If my inspection was completed on February 15, 2009, what will the sticker say and when will the next inspection (if annual) be due? The month of February and 2009 (or 09 or 9), whichever way the year is represented on the sticker) will be punched out. Until recently, federal and industry policy established that the next "annual" inspection expired on the first day of February 2010.
The DOT retest due date was determined the same way. However, Hattie Mitchell, Chief, DOT Exceptions and Regulations Termination, has interpreted the hydrostatic requalification period to expire on the LAST day of the month. Nonetheless, PSI/PCI recommends that visual inspections continue to expire on the first day of the month so as to not exceed the established time periods."

So should an LDS argue a tank is out of vis because it expires the month (a year later) that it was certified - the argument is "recommends" and is not absolute - so as always your mileage may vary.

As I vis my own tanks - before I take them anywhere, I'll re-vis them if at that month boundary to avoid any/all arguments.

Just to add to this - I remember asking this exact question during my VCI (PSI/PCI) class and have a penciled in remark about never getting a full year out of a vis (unless it's done on the first of the month). From the below - the answer is still not clear, but does have a recommendation. This is directly quoted from the Inspecting Cylinders book from the class (5th edition, page 83, authors William L. High and Mark A. Gresham):
"Many consumers and inspectors alike are confused about precisely when the next inspection is due. If my inspection was completed on February 15, 2009, what will the sticker say and when will the next inspection (if annual) be due? The month of February and 2009 (or 09 or 9), whichever way the year is represented on the sticker) will be punched out. Until recently, federal and industry policy established that the next "annual" inspection expired on the first day of February 2010.
The DOT retest due date was determined the same way. However, Hattie Mitchell, Chief, DOT Exceptions and Regulations Termination, has interpreted the hydrostatic requalification period to expire on the LAST day of the month. Nonetheless, PSI/PCI recommends that visual inspections continue to expire on the first day of the month so as to not exceed the established time periods."

So should an LDS argue a tank is out of vis because it expires the month (a year later) that it was certified - the argument is "recommends" and is not absolute - so as always your mileage may vary.

As I vis my own tanks - before I take them anywhere, I'll re-vis them if at that month boundary to avoid any/all arguments.
Personally I find this ludicrous. It puts way too much emphasis on the safety value of a VIP and the argument that 1 months makes a difference from a safety perspective is laughable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom