Question Visual Inspection Expiration Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case, they have not been successful. They do NOT have a monopoly

But it is a nice conspiracy theory, for those who like such things.
Another training agency...

I have never taken their training but I have ordered tumbling media and other items from them.

I have a SDI VIP card. I’ve also been told by Mark Gresham, current owner of PSI-PCI, that it’s crap because THEY are the only ones “endorsed, utilized and referred to by the cylinder manufacturers; and recognized by law and rule making entities such as USDOT, TC and Compressed Gas Association. ” I’ve run into it first hand. They work very hard to keep anyone else from training inspectors. When was the last time you were in a dive shop WITHOUT a PSI-PCI sticker touting their trained inspectors? They absolutely have a monopoly on the training of professional inspectors.
And what would you expect Mark to say?
Maybe you should ask an unbiased person....

Another training agency...

I have never taken their training but I have ordered tumbling media and other items from them.
That's Don Kinney: Don Kinney - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

There are only two organizations providing training for cylinder inspection that have already been listed here. If there is a 3rd, that is news to me.

And what would you expect Mark to say?
Maybe you should ask an unbiased person....

You’re missing my point. Even though SDI/TDI have a training program, I’ve never found a shop that uses it for their inspectors. Individuals certainly do. But shops? They pretty much all use PSI-PCI. Plus their training requires periodic retraining every x-years.

They own the market and they’re the ones making the money. They created the system, oversee the system, train the inspectors who run the system, and work VERY hard to keep everyone else out. THAT’S the point you somehow missed.

Even though SDI/TDI have a training program, I’ve never found a shop that uses it for their inspectors.
So YOU'VE never found such a shop. OK.
Let's just disagree.

Let's just disagree.
Find me one. I’d honestly love for there to be one. There probably is, but in your ‘down the rabbit hole’ tangent, you again are missing my point. If there are any, they are few and far between.

Let's just disagree.

Also keep in mind a monopoly doesn’t require 100%. The legal test is at least 50%. I have no doubt PSI-PCI has far more than that across the US.

Find me one. I’d honestly love for there to be one. There probably is, but in your ‘down the rabbit hole’ tangent, you again are missing my point. If there are any, they are few and far between.
They would have to be SDI/TDI more often than not, but for the US and global market, that's a small percentage.

I'd expect the top two agencies in terms of market share (PADI/SSI) to largely use PSI-PCI.

Simple. 30 days. If I get a VIP on July 1 let’s say, I expect it to be good through the entire month of July the following year. That VIP would be good for exactly 30 days beyond 12 months. That’s a ‘worst case’.

To do otherwise and treat the VIP as expiring on the first of the month means almost no one gots a full 12-month VIP. Not fair to the consumer but certainly benefits the shop.

Given that the VIP is an industry program/practice and not regulation driven by actual data (in the US), 30 days is a completely irrelevant period of time from a safety perspective. If you think otherwise, prove it.
I wrote a bunch of very cogent, eloquent points to rebutt everybody arguing here.

Then realized it had nothing to do with the question from a guy or gal that needed tanks on hand for use. Go ahead and get em VIPed? Or gamble on not having them filled when he needed em. Have em inspected now and be assured of having them available when you need em.

But to sum up everything else:
Average cost of a visual inspection: $13.73**. Cost of getting shorted a month: $1.14 or 9.5 cents per month over a 12 month period.

Not worth arguing about.

NOBODY EVER PAYS FOR 12 MONTHS OF VIP. Or 11 months. Or 6. One pays $13.73 for a single service, completed in less than half an hour in most cases. There's nothing else owed to the tank owner. Meets physical specs at the point in time inspected: Pass/fail. That's it.

Most shops will honor it for a period not to exceed 12 months. Not "good for 12 months."

**Queried 13 local dive shops in both Houston and Dallas areas as to what they charge for (1) VIP (universally included fill - avg $23.61) and (2) air fills (avg $9.88). Averaged each and subtracted avg air fill from avg VIP service (which includes air fill).

The good folks that are objecting to the VCI requirements and are attacking the "real experts" in VCI, if you don't like dive shops policies in regards to filling tanks, why don't you buy your own compressors? The dive shop filling your tanks is taking the legal and the safety responsibility while filling your tank and hence it is their rules. If you don't like it, buy your own compressor. And when you buy your own compressor, why don't you sit right next to the Tank being filled and have your little daughter or son sit and play close to the this tank? Very simple and no need to get constipated it about it really.

The case for the rules and requirements for VCI were established decades ago, if you want "data," check with the experts. Better yet, take a VCI course by PSI and ask them your questions. Don't expect them to feed you the information for free. Take the course and decide for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom