Visiting Scotland 2nd week of May 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

I am going to be visiting up your way for two weeks in May. the first week I'll be diving in Scapa flow with a group and then heading South. We figured we'd meander down the East coast for 4 days till we got to Glasgow for our flight out. I am the only diver and I plan on diving Scapa in a drysuit and my AP Diving EVP rebreather.

So I'm looking for a rebreather friendly (No TRIMIX though) dive from Castletown to Inverness and most likely Aberdeen and then back to Edinburgh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

See Home

Do you like seals? Go a bit south of Edinburgh to St Abbs and/or the Farnes. There is a Marine Proected Area and the life is usually better than in Scapa.

You might ask on www.thediveforum.co.uk or join Highland Divers on Facebook.

PS you may need to be proactive about cylinders. In Scapa the boats have them as some people fly, everywhere else people expect you to bring your own.

PS you may need to be proactive about cylinders. In Scapa the boats have them as some people fly, everywhere else people expect you to bring your own.

Thanks, I've already reserved the tanks in Scapa, and I appreciate the heads up on the tanks at other locations. I just had a day cut off the backend of the trip but I still plan trying to get at least one more dive :D:D:D

Reading this again.

The other people will be spending a week in Orkney not diving while you dive?

It will be May so hopefully lovely, but they will need to like proper archeology and distilleries. Ideally they will have a car and be prepared to walk ‘off piste’ to find less mainstream sites. There are a lot of remains which have not been tarted up and look how you might expect a two thousand year old dwelling to be - a pile of stones.

Stromness is very much a ‘real’ place in a not fantastically wealthy part of the country.

Personally I would go down the west coast. I am aware of much more diving there and the landscape is more spectacular, much more crinkly. I drove through Skye in daylight last year for the first time in a long time and it was amazing, I’d forgotten, or maybe taken it for granted.

Look on the bsac site for dive clubs near where you are going. Email them and ask where to borrow cylinders.

If you are intending to dive as you move South, then I would also suggest the West coast in preference to the East. There are more dive centres.
Look for facilities around Oban. It also has the advantage, that there is always shelter from the weather, so you seldom need to cancel diving due to the Weather.
As Ken said, the Islands of the West Coast are fantastic, you can loose a month just travelling down the West coast, seeing the sites.

Thanks for all the great answers. My wife, fortunately loves 'piles of rocks', will have a car and her and our friend will explore the Orkneys. The West coast sounds like fun, even if I don't get any more diving in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom