Body recovered, identified - Orkney, Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TBH I never took the props into consideration.
A major risk while you're in the water, on your boat as well. Make sure that they are still or get away.

A major risk while you're in the water, on your boat as well. Make sure that they are still or get away.

I watch my surroundings when I’m near the surface and reboarding. Just never considered the props in this instance. I’ve heard of a couple prop accidents, probably on here. A dangerous part of the hobby.

Where does it say he was hanging on the DSMB line?
Rumours from local skippers.

Also I don’t know if it’s obvious from the article but many of the diving boats from the area are not small boats for day diving.

The MV Karin can be used a liveaboard:

I’m not saying this applies here, but what if you end a cold water dive and you’re not properly weighted (not enough weight)

I’m not saying this applies here, but what if you end a cold water dive and you’re not properly weighted (not enough weight)
Try to find a small rock or find the shot line if there is one nearby maybe?

Not many people doing deco dives that end up light... you don't go into those dives not knowing what's needed. If shịt happened then just dump your wing and suit fully until you need to go up or can't hold your depth. Go verticalto get everything to your vents and purge... A squeeze at 20ft isn't bad. At 35 it sucks. Even flooding your suit may be an option if you can function with the squeeze.

It's not likely that you'd find a rock heavy enough to matter. A line tied to the bottom would work, if you can find one.

It's not likely that you'd find a rock heavy enough to matter. A line tied to the bottom would work, if you can find one.
It’s not something you should do unless needed, but I have seen people fix this by filling their drysuit cargo pockets with rocks.

You can fill quite a lot … if you have a mesh bag (some people carry this to grab critters) you can use this to carry a bit more.

You could also try to make an impromptu shot line and attach your reel to the wreck if your line is long enough.

It’s not something you should do unless needed, but I have seen people fix this by filling their drysuit cargo pockets with rocks.
I guess it'd just depend on where one was diving. Most of mine has been in warmer ocean waters where rocks on the floor have a coral background.
You could also try to make an impromptu shot line and attach your reel to the wreck if your line is long enough.
Yeah, that could work if the line is strong enough. You'd have to abandon it after deco and it'd become ocean trash. Just not a good situation. I dive a little overweighted so I can be sure I can get down if I see a boat coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom