Visiting Savannah - Want To Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkmood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any suggestions on beach access for shore diving, or free/cheap boat diving? I'm coming from Arizona Oct 10-15 to greet my son returning from Iraq with the 3rd ID at Ft. Stewart, and would like to get some diving in on the Savannah coast while I'm there.

Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

Chris P
PADI Advanced

One option: GeorgiaOffshore.com

You might contact [user]lives4sharks[/user] She lives in Savannah so might know somewhere.

I think it's too shallow and sandy to shoredive in that area. At least it is around Hilton Head nearby.

Last edited:
Shore diving is crappy here. I do know alot of people that dive the Cooper River in SC for fossils. Offshore trips run about $125 for a 2 tank dive due to the distance to get out to the reefs/wrecks. It's about a 40mile ride in about 1 1/2 hrs. The charter we used to have is no longer going out due to the economy. I have used Diver's Den out of St. Mary's which is about an 1 1/2 hrs south of Savannah. Diver's Den Georgia | Welcome to St Marys, Georgia. You can also contact Cpt. Walt ScubaBoard - View Profile: Captain Walt he has a charter here near Savannah : : Mako Dive Charter : :.

One thing that is very important about diving offshore here, it is an ADVANCED dive. The conditions can change very quickly with the tides. Visibility runs on a great day about 35'. It can change to less than 10' by the 2nd dive. Currents can be rough out there also. I would highly recommend that you plan for some diving down in Florida since we are so close. Jacksonville has some good dives. It's about a 2 hr drive.

I know all the areas around Ft. Stewart/Savannah, so if you need any help, it would be my pleasure to assist in any way. Congrats on your son's safe return!!!

Carolyn:shark2:
PS: Thanks for the referral Steve. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Steve & Carolyn...

I've been looking at some spots down around Jax, actually. Looks like there are some great wrecks and artificial reefs not far offshore.

Know of any good shore diving down around Jax?

I would entertain boat dives if there are any during the week and the price is right.

Ok, found a boat, I'm trying to get them out on Wednesday, Oct 13 but I need two more divers to make the trip. Charter out of Diver's Den in St. Marys / Kingsland GA, just north of Jacksonville.

I'm visiting from out of state and really want to get this dive trip in, but can't do it without you!

The boat requires a minimum of 4 divers or non-divers to make the trip, and I have 2 so far. Cost is $150 for 3 tank dives. Email me if you can make it please, please, please!

milkmood@gmail.com
Chris

Last edited:
If I wasn't working, I would love to join you! I'll ask around to my buddies and see if there is anyone who can go during the week.

Carolyn:shark2:

Milkwood, I may be interested if you havent filled the boat already. I am supposed to go with the same crew this weekend but I am not sure if the visibility and weather are going to allow a trip. Let me know how your standing as far as the number of divers you currently have signed up. You can email me at goblue@coastalnow.net

I haven't heard if the boat is full yet or not. They require a minimum of 4, and can take a max of 6. I'll call later on today and see if anybody else has come aboard yet.

milkmood

I just called, there is still room. This could be either Tuesday the 12th or Wednesday the 13th...whichever day is easier to get the boat filled up. And if you can bring another diver or two with you, we would be golden.

It's these guys: http://southgeorgiadivecharters.com/index.html

CP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom