Visiting Manila in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My non-diving wife will be in Manila in March visiting her family, and I'll be joining her on the 23rd. We're then planning on heading down to Puerto Galera or Anilao for a week of diving for me, and relaxing and snorkeling for her. Last year we were in Manila in Nov. and my dive trip was cancelled by a typhoon hanging off the coast for a week.:banghead:

Can someone give me some recommendations for where to stay? I'd like someplace that's isn't too expensive (I'm thinking maybe $50-75 USD per night), has a dive shop, and probably isn't on Sabang beach based on what I've read here.

I did some noodling around on the web and found that right next to Action Divers is a place called Deep Blue Sea Inn, and it's real inexpensive ($20-25 for an airconditioned room) and right on Small LaLaguna beach.

I was also considering Anilao, but from what I've read the diving isn't as nice, and the prices are higher than PG. 'Zat so?

Also, is there any beach diving at either location? I'm partial to just walking into the water and diving :D

Salamat po. (Did I pronounce that correctly ? :D )

hello Jim,

I can help you with the anilao diving. I've never dove PG but from what I hear it's different than Anilao. PG you'll get more pelagics, but the benthic life in Anilao is amazing. I cannot comment on the benthic life of PG - only that I know both anilao and PG benthic life are related and recruit from each other. Shore diving is possible in anilao for some resorts.

Prices are lower for anilao since PG caters more to an international crowd while anilao caters mostly to the locals. In anilao I'll spend between P1000-P1500 for 3 dives while for PG I've been quoted P2000-P2500 for 3 dives.

I guess it's what you'd like to see. IMHO, your wife would enjoy PG better than anilao because there will be more to do for non-divers there. Only a handful of resorts cater to non-divers in anilao and the beaches are more enjoyable in PG.

Hope you find what you're looking for! Have fun!

edit: here's another thread, check out Axua's reco: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122994

I may be able to help you out. I went there in Oct 05 and Nov 05. Went with Action Divers and they booked me at Deep Blue Sea Inn. Nice place but a little on the plain side. Staff was very nice though. Second trip back I had Action Divers book me in Portofino. Bit more upscale and a little bit more in price but definitely worth it. If you're diving with Action Divers, see if they can get you a deal with Portofino.

mccabejc:
My non-diving wife will be in Manila in March visiting her family, and I'll be joining her on the 23rd. We're then planning on heading down to Puerto Galera or Anilao for a week of diving for me, and relaxing and snorkeling for her. Last year we were in Manila in Nov. and my dive trip was cancelled by a typhoon hanging off the coast for a week.:banghead:

Can someone give me some recommendations for where to stay? I'd like someplace that's isn't too expensive (I'm thinking maybe $50-75 USD per night), has a dive shop, and probably isn't on Sabang beach based on what I've read here.

I did some noodling around on the web and found that right next to Action Divers is a place called Deep Blue Sea Inn, and it's real inexpensive ($20-25 for an airconditioned room) and right on Small LaLaguna beach.

I was also considering Anilao, but from what I've read the diving isn't as nice, and the prices are higher than PG. 'Zat so?

Also, is there any beach diving at either location? I'm partial to just walking into the water and diving :D

Salamat po. (Did I pronounce that correctly ? :D )

Hello
My wife and I just returned from the Philippines. We dove with Action Divers and had a great time. Dives are $22 with eqpt. rental another $5 we also stayed at Deep Blue Sea Inn. Rates were reasonable, dives were great. Lot's of pictures but I'm new to this camera so only a few were decent. Deep Blue Sea Inn is in Little LaLaguna Beach, a short walk from were the Banka (local outrigger) will drop you off at Sabang beach. When you get to Batangas pier, make sure you get a Banka going to Sabang, otherwise you will then need to take either another smaller Banka to Litt LaLaguna beach, or a Jeepney to Sabang. There are Porters at Sabang to help cary your luggage to your room, ($2-$3 each). We stayed in a fan room, (no tv, only the waves lulabay to put us to sleep). At the restraunt, try their Margarita pizza, great! if you want further info PM me.
We were there Nov. 4 - Nov 10, in case you wanted to know how old our info is.
John. aka dragon

one more thing: cash or travelers checks. few places in Lill LaLaguna seem to accept credit cards, there are no ATM's. the nearest ATM i was told was in Batangas city, just a boat ride away. make sure you go into Sabang, ( the town) lots of nice shops, reasonable prices for your souvenier hunting.

Action Divers takes cash. I paid with a credit card for the hotel stay in Portofino + 10% up charge. The Western Union office in Sabang will do cash advances on your credit card for a 7% charge. I've heard that you can cash your travelers checks also but not at a favorable rate. If you're staying in Deep Blue Sea Inn and diving with Action Divers, both the hotel and dive bills will be settled at Action divers. Bring cash and your credit cards and you'll never worry about money. Oh, Deep Blue Sea Inn provides you with a lockable safe for your valuables if you need to lock it. Never used it and didn't have anything missing.

You were asking about Anilao, my wife and I dove Puerto Galera because we are both relatively new divers, and there more sites available to novice divers in Puerto Galera, Anilao has more of a current and seems for more experienced divers. By the next time we go, we hope to be more experienced and able to handle the currents, I'm told that Anilao has more sites to dive. It is more expensive in Anilao, Inns and diving.
Puerto Galera, does have some dive sites right off the beach. my wife did her last cert dive right off our room at Deep Blue Sea Inn, and there were a few night dives also right off our rooms. It was nice, we could sit on our balcony and watch the lights underwater. and the boat picking them up. If you have a buddy with you, Mr Thompson may let you do some beach dives, most are boat dives, even in front of our room. Deep Blue Sea Inn is less than 150 ft from Action Divers. we had a great time and are planning to go back and dive through them.

And if you're making reservations through a local travel agent, I'd advise that you confirm your reservations with the hotel/resort directly ....just to make sure you're really booked :)

My wife made a reservation for Blue Mango Inn (Boracay) last October through DFA Travel and Tours (Manila).....prepaid upfront.

We proceeded to Boracay two days ago to find out THERE WAS NO BOOKING MADE for us.

According to Von Pratt, Blue Mango Inn owner/manager, DFA Travel and Tours has been doing the scam for some time victimizing mostly foreigners.

Von Pratt (Blue Mango Inn) was kind enough to find us a room and offered us free lunch and beer on the day we came though....

You may check out the story from Dolly (Von's wife) +63-906-202-8086

"Sometimes the bear gets you!"

ANd speaking of shore entries in Batangas, I've enjoyed the house reefs (and the people) around Portulano (www.portulano.com)
, El Capitan and Ligpo very much ... :)

h2odragon1:
You were asking about Anilao, my wife and I dove Puerto Galera because we are both relatively new divers, and there more sites available to novice divers in Puerto Galera, Anilao has more of a current and seems for more experienced divers. By the next time we go, we hope to be more experienced and able to handle the currents, I'm told that Anilao has more sites to dive. It is more expensive in Anilao, Inns and diving.

Hi dragon, dunno who gave you this info, but just wanted to debunk this myth. There are many enjoayble novice sites available in Anilao, and PG is known for just as harsh, if not harsher currents than Anilao (I can pull 2 threads from the Accidents and Incidents forum about "Canyons" if you'd like). Although I'm not saying that Anilao is current free and 100% safe (far from it), it is an enjoyable place for divers of all experience levels. I am still a novice and enjoy the various sites of Anilao. Just let your DM and dive buddies know your comfort zone and they will very much abide to your needs.

About cost, I just came back from anilao and paid just over P4000 ($70-$75) for a 2 Day/1 Night non-aircon room, ala carte meals & drinks, and 5 dives (boat, tanks & weight rental, and DM included). I have never stayed in PG to dive (only for partying, research, and beach bumming), but if you know of a place there that can give me the same amenities for P4000 please show me the light! :)

In general, I've learned that it's best not to compare the dive sites of Anilao and PG. They are both unique and famous (or infamous!) in their own way and it is the best interest of the diver to check out both places since they are in relatively close proximity to each other (maybe that's the reason why they are compared so often?).

But I still stick to my reco to Jim that PG would be better for his wifey. Love the beach and night life better than anilao.

@ jim: no need to apologize for the spelling, it was perfect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom