Visiting Kauai in May (10-17)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdesola

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering about a few things:

Family vacation, visiting Kauai from Cambridge MA where we've had a LONG winter--will have four little ones--an 8,7, and two 3 yr olds, I will need to look out for their safety + keep them happy--a clear water bay with sandy bottom would be great, and I'd love for the two older boys to have a chance to have there first chance looking at vibrant fish through a mask or goggles. As for me, I'd like to get out on a guided boat or shore dive 2 or 3 times during the week, possibly with my brother-in-law. I /we are out of practice as haven't been diving for a few years, so something relatively easy with good support would be appropriate--but I'd still like to see some interesting things, dolphins or seals would be a real kick, but I don't know if they're about this time of year.

Wondering what part of the island makes the most sense, and even where to stay if anyone has some thoughts.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions--especially on what part of Kauai to seek out.

-David

We stayed in Princeville on the north side the island last year May.

The only dive sites up that way are Tunnels and Ke'e Beach which are both shore dives. Most of the boats seem to operate on the south side of the island like Port Allen which is closer to most of the other dive sites. It is a major drive to go from the north side to the south side. We wasted at least 3 or 4 hours a day driving back and forth on the roads that go around the island.

I would suggest staying no further north than Kappa, maybe even more south in Poipu. They are closer to most of the dive sites. If we didn't have a family timeshare on the north side that's what we do next time.

Lydgate State Beach Park is on the east side of the island. It is set up particularly for kids.

If you want to do Tunnels on the north side, go with a dive shop since parking is extremely difficult and you have to carry your gear a long way. If there is a calm day, you have to take advantage of it since Tunnels is subject to the weather conditions which can be rough that time of year.

Koloa Landing, is a good place for an easy dive where a lot of dive shops take students. It is also located on the south side.

I'm sure one of the resident Kauai instructors will have more to say.

Wondering about a few things:

Family vacation, visiting Kauai from Cambridge MA where we've had a LONG winter--will have four little ones--an 8,7, and two 3 yr olds, I will need to look out for their safety + keep them happy--a clear water bay with sandy bottom would be great, and I'd love for the two older boys to have a chance to have there first chance looking at vibrant fish through a mask or goggles.
Wondering what part of the island makes the most sense, and even where to stay if anyone has some thoughts.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions--especially on what part of Kauai to seek out.

-David

David, I forgot this part.

I took my whole family, kids, their spouses and all of the grandkids to Kauai. We stayed at this place Kauai Vacation Rentals featuring Aikane Kauai Vacation House at Poipu Beach, Kauai Chris runs a great operation and is very good to work with.

For your kid safe beach, Brennecke's is perfect for you and the whole family and is in short walking distance from the condo in the link above.
Beaches of Poipu

It has a baby beach for the really young ones and easy snorkeling (gear is provided at the condo as well) within yards so you can watch both groups from one beach spot. Believe me, you will love it.:wink:

Thanks very much Themons and Dave for your suggestions. Dave, loved the report, pictures and videos, btw--really help paint a picture, I'm just about coming out of my socks in anticipation of this trip.

Do you have a sense of where recommended snorkeling sites would be--north vs south, for example--I'd be willing to suck it up and drive across the island a few times for my diving if it meant the majority of our crew would have access to calmer waters / more vibrant snorkeling.

I should add for clarification that the entire party will consist of 5 adults (two couples, + one senior--my father + the 4 kids = 9)

Thanks again.

-David

Last edited:
Thanks very much Themons and Dave for your suggestions. Dave, loved the report, pictures and videos, btw--really help paint a picture, I'm just about coming out of my socks in anticipation of this trip.

Do you have a sense of where recommended snorkeling sites would be--north vs south, for example--I'd be willing to suck it up and drive across the island a few times for my diving if it meant the majority of our crew would have access to calmer waters / more vibrant snorkeling.

I should add for clarification that the entire party will consist of 5 adults (two couples, + one senior--my father + the 4 kids = 9)

Thanks again.

-David

Koloa landing is near by and has some decent snorkeling but cruise accross the Island and check out Tunnels. Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Tunnels Reef of Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

But, if you are really adventurous, take a cruise to Napai Coast - out of this world!

Greetings. Just returned from heaven on earth - the shore of Kauai - Poipu. There are several family friendly places to stay - from large resorts (think Marriott, Westin, etc) with pools and gentle sandy beaches that are perfect for kids, to time share rentals and rental condos. We always rent a two bedroom, two bath unit at Kuhio Shores www.kuhioshores.com. It is perfect for us, but there is no pool. Right next door is the Beach House restaurant, in front of which is the absolute best snorkeling beach on the island, Lawai Beach, in a small cove area. We walk next door to snorkel at least once a day. Nice beach for kids. Perfect for seeing so many fish, turtles and even monk seals. Across the street from the Lawai Beach is the Lawai Beach Resort - a timeshare that also rents condo style units for families, and they have two or three swimming pools. Most units have great views.

Now for the diving. I always dive with SEASPORT DIVERS #1 on Kauai and Niihau - Scuba dive on Kauai and Niihau, Shore Dives, Boat Dives, and Nitrox. in Koloa. Just a five minute drive from the condo. Great LDS with all the services you need. They have a morning and afternoon boat that leaves from the small boat harbor just beyond Lawai Beach, so travel time is less than 10 mins. The boat is in excellent shape, lay out just for divers, not a cattle boat. Check out their website. Friendly, safety minded crew. Morning boat is for intermediate to experienced divers, afternoon for beginners or rusty divers. The south shore has dozens of dive sites, and the boat is the best way to get there. All dives are guided by dive masters. You will see a whole host of fish, turtles, sharks, rays, sometimes manta rays, and dolphins. I have also done shore diving at Koloa Landing, a three min. drive from the dive shop.

You don't really want to drive across the island for diving, when everything you want is on the south shore. The commute from north to south in the morning is close to 90 mins, in heavy traffic.

If you have any questions, send me an email. Happy to help.

Aloha! Great to hear you are visiting the island. May is a great time to visit the island. You'll find that the best location is probably on the southern shore if you are going to do 2-3 days of diving off of the boats. It's a fairly long early morning trip from the north side of the island to reach the dive boats (all on the south side) especially if you are headed to Port Allen. If you are staying on the south side you'll be within minutes of any of the primary boats. Shore dives are available on both the north and south shores (Tunnels beach - north & Koloa Landing - south).

If you want to pm me I can give you specific suggestions on diving.

Dolphins can be seen on the Napali coast trips on Capt Andys or other catamarans. It's a fun family trip for sure. There is a great trip for the family from shore to spend time with the turtles that I can offer you info on as well.

You'll find a great class of Divemasters and instructors on the island and I think you will be very happy with your dive experiences.

Get a hold of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook prior to your trip - or I can send one your way. It'll make a big difference on the quality and fun you have during your trip.

Good luck and we'll look forward to your visit.

A

You don't really want to drive across the island for diving, when everything you want is on the south shore.

What! And miss diving Tunnels - No way! It's one of the best dives on the Island.:wink:

Fast foward to 1:51
[vimeo]2429730[/vimeo]

Back
Top Bottom