Visiting Ft. Lauderdale...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HilaryRN71

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello...

I'm visiting Ft. Lauderdale area (Boynton Beach) for a few weeks for work. I was hoping for some feedback on dive shops and dive boats in the area. I plan on visiting the Keys for a weekend to do the Grove and Duane...(AWESOME CAN'T WAIT) but I hope to catch a morning or afternoon boat a couple times a week that is local to check out some of the local wrecks. The online schedules seem to show that alot go out every am/pm. Is this the case? Any feedback on ones that usually are booked enough to go on a weekday? Thanks in advance!!!

There's a big difference travel-wise between Boynton Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
During the week, you can dive Splashdown Divers in Boynton or take a drive a little north up to Riviera Beach and dive with Ray at Narcosis Dive Charters - no overlap in sites.
I never dived with Splashdown but they have staunch adherents on the board; I used to dive with Ray a lot until I got my own boat. He would drop me off deep, motor off to shallower depths, and come get me an hour or so later.
During the week, some boats don't go out unless they have four divers.
Ray usually always goes out and doesn't leave until 10am, which is great since commuting traffic in Palm Beach county stinks.

HilaryRN71:
Hello...

I'm visiting Ft. Lauderdale area (Boynton Beach) for a few weeks for work. I was hoping for some feedback on dive shops and dive boats in the area. I plan on visiting the Keys for a weekend to do the Grove and Duane...(AWESOME CAN'T WAIT) but I hope to catch a morning or afternoon boat a couple times a week that is local to check out some of the local wrecks. The online schedules seem to show that alot go out every am/pm. Is this the case? Any feedback on ones that usually are booked enough to go on a weekday? Thanks in advance!!!
In the Pompano Beach-Fort Lauderdale area I personally know the Safari Diver boat, part of the South Florida Diving Headquarters, that dives every day (I think they leave at 9 on weekdays and 8 for sure on week-ends). There are some really fun wrecks there, such as the Sea Empress and the Captain Dan's (and plenty of others but I haven't done them yet) their dive schedule is posted on their website, for which you need to register, but once that's done it's really convenient to sign up for dives online (https://sfdh.timetrade.com
).
In Fort Lauderdale there's Pro Dive, they leave every day at 12:00 noon. Their boat can be crowded as it is a big training shop and lots of tourists end up there but they're great and very professional. Have a great time!

Loggerhead Divers runs a pretty tight ship, I've had very good diving with
them, they are right down the canal from Splashdown. From Boynton you've
got great diving in West Palm and even better drift diving up in Jupiter.

Hi there... I dive with Splashdown almost every week, when I'm in Florida. They have a great boat, a great crew, and they always hit great sites. It's actually one of the best dive ops I've ever gone with.

Their website is http://splashdowndivers.com - I have only been on a few dozen dive boats, so maybe my opinion is not the best, but they give you weights, snacks, soda, they have a clean head (bathroom) on the boat... These are things that I don't see on other boats.

As for FLL or the Keys... FLL itself... I dive with ProDive, since it's inexpensive if you have all of your own equipment. They only run PM trips.

The keys... We haven't picked a favorite yet... But I would look for the following

FAST BOAT
CLEAN HEAD

Since my wife and I dive dry, and we can't p in our suits...a functional and visitable head is important to her.

When are you going to be down... Maybe we'll take a dive with you?

howarde:
Hi there... I dive with Splashdown almost every week, when I'm in Florida. They have a great boat, a great crew, and they always hit great sites. It's actually one of the best dive ops I've ever gone with.

Their website is http://splashdowndivers.com - I have only been on a few dozen dive boats, so maybe my opinion is not the best, but they give you weights, snacks, soda, they have a clean head (bathroom) on the boat... These are things that I don't see on other boats.

As for FLL or the Keys... FLL itself... I dive with ProDive, since it's inexpensive if you have all of your own equipment. They only run PM trips.

The keys... We haven't picked a favorite yet... But I would look for the following

FAST BOAT
CLEAN HEAD

Since my wife and I dive dry, and we can't p in our suits...a functional and visitable head is important to her.

When are you going to be down... Maybe we'll take a dive with you?
Thanks...I'll check out Splashdown. I'm coming in next week and will be there for 4 weeks. I work every other weekend so I'll likely be looking at weekday boats. I've never dived that part of Florida...only the Keys and only as a newbie. So I'd like to check it out. It'd be great to hook up and dive sometime.

Do the boats provide tank rental? I have all my own stuff but I'm flying there so no tank...

HilaryRN71:
Thanks...I'll check out Splashdown. .

Do the boats provide tank rental? I have all my own stuff but I'm flying there so no tank...
Hilary,
Yes they have tanks! shop is right next to boat,parking can be had if you come early as its a building area! or across the street just ask at shop after you un load your kit.
I would call a day or two ahead, not that the boat will fill up, just that they run out with just a few divers some times,in any case they have a great opp, and they are my choice for diving. the locals dive weekly with them!
And they may get you on Nitrox to cut down on SI times
A month or so till I get back down to do a few drops with the gang!
Dive safe,
Brad

I cant believe noone is mentioning the Starfish. http://www.idivestarfish.com/

Boynton is the best diving around and the Starfish is very accomodating for whatever kind of diving that you want to do.

I also have most of the Boats contact #'s in Boynton and up in Riviera beach.(Narcosis, Pura Vida, Sandy's sunday, Minnow, Abernathy),

Absolutely no lack of good places or boats going out, just make sure to call ahead or you'll be scrambleing and begging at the last minute like I do.:wink:

Henry

HilaryRN71:
Thanks...I'll check out Splashdown. I'm coming in next week and will be there for 4 weeks. I work every other weekend so I'll likely be looking at weekday boats. I've never dived that part of Florida...only the Keys and only as a newbie. So I'd like to check it out. It'd be great to hook up and dive sometime.

They have tanks (for a fee like most any dive op)... and they provide weights at no extra charge.

Another nice thing about diving with them, is that the reef is closeby, only a 10-15 minute boat ride, and you're there. :D

We're also weekday divers, but we're not going to be around until sometime during the 2nd week of March... We're heading back to Colorado for a little bit... Drop me a message, and we'll see if we can dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom