Visiting from Socal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liger if you pick up the tanks at 7:00 you will be able to make it to Day Island By 8:00 with 0.8 current at high tide, the vis will be in your favor, wolfells are cool and if you go past the bottom of the wall there are some rocks, like every twenty ta fifty feet or so and thats where the octo's are. Being that it will start the night they may even come out like wolfies do.

Doing day Island later in the night at that kind of tide and current has always been my favorite for playing with the octos, wolfies always come out cause they want ya to feed them, there trained now from divers bringing them crab, they like urchins to.

just another option with your short time.

Happy Diving

No ... that's not good advice.

Day Island Wall is an advanced dive on the best of days ... and on a day with a reasonably large exchange it's an unpredictable dive.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone with less than 24 dives even if they were diving from a live boat ... and certainly not as a shore dive.

And thanks to people who think it's cool hand-feeding wild animals ... the wolfies at Day Island Wall are starting to get aggressive around divers now. I've got a video clip from two weeks ago where one actually tried to bite my camera.

Leave 'em alone ... I go down there to see wild animals, not pets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

True bob, amy was offering a guide also, yet I really dont look at the join date all that often, and as divers are not always updating info. I never have updated myself.

So in bobs defense if the bouyancy, depth are not to a comfotable level for ya wait for another trip even next year august might be too soon. But it is amust dive especially in your area of accomendations.

I would take a guide though, from amys shop and ask them to return the tanks back for ya, your return will be a less stress dive in your short time.

Happy Diving

True bob, amy was offering a guide also, yet I really dont look at the join date all that often, and as divers are not always updating info. I never have updated myself.

So in bobs defense if the bouyancy, depth are not to a comfotable level for ya wait for another trip even next year august might be too soon. But it is amust dive especially in your area of accomendations.

I would take a guide though, from amys shop and ask them to return the tanks back for ya, your return will be a less stress dive in your short time.

Happy Diving

Thanks for the suggestions! As my profile suggests, we are new divers, so we'll definitely hold off for now, but put it on our to do list! We are back in Seattle many times a year (this year being more than normal...), but we'll probably hold off till next summer when the water temp is slightly warmer as we don't dive dry.

Still trying to work logistics out, but really hoping things will go as planned :D

Gotta be at a wedding in eastern Washington by 5pm....short trips back home just do not give us enough time to do all the things we want to do :(

Depending on where the wedding is, diving in the AM is not advisable if you need to be in eastern WA in the evening. If you are planning a drive over Snoqualmie Pass, that is at 3500 feet. Blewett Pass is even higher. I recommend at least a 12 hour surface interval if going higher that 2000 feet.

Be sure to give me a call regardless when you get into town. If you are up for it, maybe an evening dive instead?

I believe Rick Inman even discussed this with DAN . . . And was told that, as long as the diving was not aggressive and he took at least a couple of hours to put gear away, etc., that driving home over the pass was fine. After all, we have to remember that you don't go from sea level to 3500 feet in two or three minutes, as one does in an airliner; it takes a full hour to climb that distance, and you are, of course, offgassing during that period.

So it turns out that diving this weekend is just not going to happen :(

Anyone up for diving with us on August 15th and/or 16th? Since we've been diving in socal, the coolest thing we've found so far is sand....and we don't want to waste our PNW dives looking at sand, so it'd be really great if we could hook up with some local divers and see what all the hype is about! :D

We're willing to travel as well....we'll be in Steilacoom, but if the cool stuff is in Seattle or elsewhere, we're all for making the drive to have a nice dive (hehe, rhyming....I'm a :dork2:).

I believe Rick Inman even discussed this with DAN . . . And was told that, as long as the diving was not aggressive and he took at least a couple of hours to put gear away, etc., that driving home over the pass was fine.
Being from the area originally, the DAN rep suggested I stop in Issaquah at the Skippers for Oysters before heading over the pass. I didn't get bent, but I had a nasty case of heartburn.

Yeah, Rick, the oysters at Cove 2 are better, remember? (Sorry, private joke hijack)

Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of town the weekend of August 15th and 16th. But I'm sure you'll find buddies -- You might also ask on the Nw Dive Club site

So we're going to be up next weekend for another wedding, and are hoping to get a day or two of dives in (Friday and Saturday). I know that a good dive at Titlow is tide-dependent....I was wondering if there are dive sites around that are not tide-dependent. We're willing to drive for a good site....thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom