Visa for the Sinai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
I have been told that if you are travelling and remaining in the Sinai that you do not need a visa at Sharm, instead just mark your entry card 'sinai only' can anyone confirm this ?

You can avoid to get a visa, but you won't be allowed to dive in Ras Mohammed, they check passports.

The marine park is awesome, I wouldn't doubt for a second it's worth spending the extra 20$ at the airport.

Last time I was in sharm I think the Siani visa was $5 and the full one $15. I would certainly recommend paying the small amount extra since you can then be certain you can dive wherever your company wants to take you.

Just as an aside. I have flown to Sharm twice now and the first time getting a visa and clearing passport control took 20 mins, the second time it took 2 hours. Getting a visa in advance might save you some time and trouble.

I'm flying to Sharm but staying in Dahab, is it likely that any of the sites we would try to reach from there would require a visa ? BTW - I will be there for two weeks.

I thought about getting a visa in advance, but won't have time to get down to london in the two weeks I have before travelling.

As far as I could understand it when I was there (two weeks ago), there were two visas. Each of these is represented by a little stamp - a red one and a blue one. You do need a visa to go to Dahab, but you do not need the Ras Mohammed one (don't know which colour is which). Getting both visas cost me 10 pounds sterling, and it was definitely worth doing, since I did in fact make an unsheduled trip to the Thistlegorm from Dahab (do it - you know you want to). Even on an off-peak date getting the visa in the airport was a nightmare (you get them at the bank for some reason) - go to the consulate before you leave if you can, since you will probably be thankful (although if you are part of a package, you may end up waiting for the rest of your group outside the airport anyway).

Dave

You said the magic word....thistlegorm, that is the one dive outside of Dahab that I really would like to be able to do. Would it require the other visa ?

Yes - I can confirm (to the best of my knowledge) that a trip to the Thistlegorm will require both of the visas (ie the Ras one).

Dave

I haven't done the Thistlegorm, but I'm sure of one thing: it's in the middle of the Gulf of Suez, actually closer to Hurghada than to Sharm (4 hours one way from Sharm), so it's hard to call it a dive off Dahab which is in the gulf of Aqaba on the other side of the Sinai Peninsula, north-east of Sharm.

You can do it as a day trip from Dahab. A few of the dive centres arrange it.

You need to get up at stupid O'clock, get a minibus to Sharm then get on a day boat. It is a fantastic dive and well worth it, but it much better from a live aboard. You still get up at stupid O'clock, but you have the dive site to yourself for the first dive and you can stay all day and do a night dive too.

Back
Top Bottom