Visa for the Sinai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is true that you are grounded if you have to go outside of Sinai - but to be honest if you plan to be there or if you saw everything so far on previous visits and you are sure you will stay on Sinai peninusla - you don't have to buy tourist visa.

The security is tight but as I mentioned I was 3 weeks ago in Sharm, two times diving in Ras Mohammed - no one checked passports. But if they would check and I wouldn't have tourist visa I could have problems. But this concern only Ras M. not sure if Tiran too.

And yes you will be able to enter Dahab on free visa. And you are completely legal even if they check your passports when you are entering Dahab, you are allowed to do this on this "Sinai Only" visa.

I am going to Dahab in September using free visa, will be back October and will let you know whether is it possible or not. As far as I read some reviews it is possible and completely legal.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

I never said it's illegal. It's simply stupid - these two things are a bit different, aren't they? But diving in Ras Mohammed without the normal, touristic visa is illegal. So you think it's OK to save 30 US$ and then it's OK to do something that is illegal????
And BTW you need visa to go to Tiran.
Dahab is a lovely place - I do envy you. Although everybody here knows I love Sharm and this is my place....
Mania

mania:
I never said it's illegal. It's simply stupid - these two things are a bit different, aren't they? But diving in Ras Mohammed without the normal, touristic visa is illegal. So you think it's OK to save 30 US$ and then it's OK to do something that is illegal????
And BTW you need visa to go to Tiran.
Dahab is a lovely place - I do envy you. Although everybody here knows I love Sharm and this is my place....
Mania

mania

the answers you have given are simply not true!

once again, if you stay on the sinai peninsula you do not need a visa. if you would like to visit ras mohammed or any of the wrecks out there you have to have the visa which costs us$ 15.-- at the bank counter in the airport. it is best to pay in dollars. all other currencies costs you more!

so, if you want to stay in dahab and are sure not to dive ras mohammed you do not need a payable visa - you get it for free by stating "sinai only" on the back side of the entry declaration.

however 15$ is not much just to be on the save side in case you decide all of a sudden to go there or to any other place in egypt (fast ferry to hurghada) for instance

swisstrav - this is exactly what I meant - that saving 15 bucks and being grounded in one place is simply stupid. Not to mention the fact that something wrong may happen (which of course I hope will not) and somebody will have to be taken to Cairo to hospital (remember that Sharm's hospital although not bad is not the best) - then what?????
But I also remember very well when some super official guys at the Dahab's checkpoint (on the way from Sharm) didn't let a tourist that had "Sinai only" visa - another reason for having normal visa - you never know which police or militaryman will be in charge. Have you ever tried to discuss anything with Egyptian police or military? Even if you are right???? I did - not an easy task and without arabic you will not have any success.
And one more thing - diving in Ras without the visa is illegal and stiwi just admited doing it. Do we want to promote illegal behaviour of any sort?
Mania

The official guys have to let you in because this free visa is valid for whole sinai - if it would be different there wouldn't be such free visa opportunity. Yes, you are grounded in one place but if I have visited everything already and I am sure that I will stay only in Sinai then I see no reason why should I pay 15$ for visa. And as swisstrav mentioned 15$ is not much but I am tired after the flight through the night to stay in the queue if I even don't need it.

I heard that hospital in Sharm and doctors who work there are very good, no idea what should happen to me that this case would need transportation to Cairo. Even if something is wrong I don't think that they will not transport you to Cairo because you don't have visa, lol. Do you really think that if something will happen to me their first aim will be to check if I bought visa? Lol, no kidding Mania :)

One more thing, untill Egypt is touristic country, tourists have almost always right not the policeman/official. That is why most Arabs are afraid of cheating the tourist because if you say that you will call the police they will be in big trouble. Having a free visa you can completely legal enter Dahab/Sharm/Taba/Nuqeiba and diving there not as you Mania said before that "you will not enter Dahab on free visa", there are only some exceptions that you can't dive on Ras Mohammed and go oustide the Sinai.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

The free visa that is stamped in your passport (after writing "Sinai only" on your entry card) allows you ANYWHERE in Sinai. Sharm is in Sinai, Dahab is in Sinai, Nuweiba (where i go 4 times a year) is in Sinai, Taba is in Sinai, St Katherines is in Sinai. That means you can go to any of these places without having to pay for a full visa. We've been to Tiran, again you don't need to buy a full visa. We've been on boat trips, again with no full visa. We've been to Ras Moh, now that you do need to buy one (although some people say not if you get there by boat)

Look through this http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

stiwi:
The official guys have to let you in because this free visa is valid for whole sinai - if it would be different there wouldn't be such free visa opportunity. Yes, you are grounded in one place but if I have visited everything already and I am sure that I will stay only in Sinai then I see no reason why should I pay 15$ for visa. And as swisstrav mentioned 15$ is not much but I am tired after the flight through the night to stay in the queue if I even don't need it.

I heard that hospital in Sharm and doctors who work there are very good, no idea what should happen to me that this case would need transportation to Cairo. Even if something is wrong I don't think that they will not transport you to Cairo because you don't have visa, lol. Do you really think that if something will happen to me their first aim will be to check if I bought visa? Lol, no kidding Mania :)

One more thing, untill Egypt is touristic country, tourists have almost always right not the policeman/official. That is why most Arabs are afraid of cheating the tourist because if you say that you will call the police they will be in big trouble. Having a free visa you can completely legal enter Dahab/Sharm/Taba/Nuqeiba and diving there not as you Mania said before that "you will not enter Dahab on free visa", there are only some exceptions that you can't dive on Ras Mohammed and go oustide the Sinai.

Cheers,
Sebastian.
stiwi
As I wrote - you can't predict everything. And if I remember well you have been to sharm only once so how do you know everything about the hospital there. For instance - they don't have an ENT microscope so in case of any more serious ear problem (quite common when diving) you will have to be transported to Cairo. Point!!!!
And again - diving in Tiran and Ras Mohammed without a normal visa is illegal!!!!
In the same way like drugs are illegal, overspeeeding and so on.
So my congrats to your attitude towards law. Too very Polish as for my standards.
Mania

mania:
stiwi
As I wrote - you can't predict everything. And if I remember well you have been to sharm only once so how do you know everything about the hospital there/ For instance - they don't have i ENT microscope so in case of ea ear barotrauma you will have to be transported to Cairo. Point!!!!
And again - diving in Tiran and Ras Mohammed without a normal visa is illegal!!!!
In the same way like drugs are illegal, overspeeeding and so on.
So my congrats to your attitude towards law. Too very Polish as for my standards.
Mania

Mania, sorry, I can't understand your point. The question was if it is possible to enter Sinai on free Visa. The answer is yes. Nobody asked about hospital in Cairo (if they need your visa or no) or that he or she will be grounded there for couple of days without possibility to go to Luxor etc. Question was simple and answer is simple so maybe you will repeat what you are trying to say us - because I don't understand your point. As far as I know you can go to Tiran without Visa, you need Visa for Ras Mohammed actually. If I go to Dahab I don't need to go to Ras M. or Tiran, I will be diving there on their local reefs. So I don't need visa. So again I can't understand your point or what you are trying to say me when I go to Dahab and you write about diving on Ras M. which doesn't interest me on this trip.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom