Trip Report Vis, Croatia Wreck Diving (May 2022)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, I'll need to research that. I'm supposed to dive another B-24 this week in Malta. Really looking forward to it.

- brett
Cool, I have never seen a real wreck, can't wait if you write it up.

From Norden Bombsight, Formation Bombing and Lead Crews: How American B-17 Bombers Hoped to Achieve Air Superiority during Long-Range Daylight Precision Bombings over Germany - The Aviation Geek Club [emphasis added]:
To make formation bombing work, the wings needed well-coordinated teams of pilot, navigator, and bombardier, and these had to be developed. To that end, VIII Bomber Command directed the establishment of special “lead crews” in each squadron at each station. Squadrons had to identify their best bombardiers and they joined with a specially selected navigator. These lead crews alone would be responsible for identifying the target, leading the unit on the bomb run, locating the release point, and giving the order to release; and the lead crew pilot was chosen for his ability to fly smoothly and make changes gradually to keep formation together. Only three other planes in each group — one wingman of the lead plane and the leaders of the high and low squadrons — carried bombsights, in case the leader was shot down. The mission of the other crews was to stay in tight defensive formations and release when the leader released.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom