Trip Report Vis, Croatia Wreck Diving (May 2022)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next installment is the SS Michael N. Maris (or simply "the Maris") which is a relatively recent discovery (2016) even though she sank 90 years ago. The wreck is immaculate and is covered in life and purple gorgonian fans. Definitely one of my favorite wrecks.

Full post is below along with a lot of pictures:

Here is a picture from inside the engine room looking out through the door I entered:

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 7.30.57 AM.png

Regards,

- brett

The next post is live which is about the wreck of the Ursus. It was a "sporty" dive to say the least. The story of finding and diving the wreck along with photos is at the link below. I definitely want to go back and do at least one more dive on the Ursus.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 3.41.38 PM.png

[Note: I wasn't sure exactly which forum to post this in, so the moderators should feel free to move it].

I recently spent 9 days diving the wrecks in Vis, Croatia. It was an amazing trip. I wrote up a lengthy and detailed report of my trip including information on travel, Covid, hotels, logistics, diving, etc. I hope it will be useful for anybody else that is planning a trip there.

I will follow this up with in-depth posts on each of the wrecks that I dove.

Regards,

- brett
Water temp rental gear available?

I was there before the high season and the water was colder than it would be in Jul-Sep.

I was also doing 2+ hour runtime dives so I was in a drysuit. The coldest bottom temp was 58F at 230 feet on the B-17. My last deco stop at 20 feet varied from 67F-69F.

I rented rebreather cylinders and bailout cylinders but brought everything else with me.

Most dive shops have all the equipment you would need to rent including wetsuits.

- brett

The next installment in the series on the wrecks in Vis is the unbelievable B-24 Liberator "Tulsamerican." It has a very unique heritage and we are very fortunate that they found and identified this wreck.

The background story with photos is posted at:

Here is a picture to whet your appetite:

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 5.37.54 PM.png

Regards,

- brett

Love Croatia....waters around Rab are just to dang cold for me! Wife jumps right in 😳

I think Ill be putting Croatia on my list of countries to dive after all that. Brilliant write up, very much enjoyed them. Thanks

I think Ill be putting Croatia on my list of countries to dive after all that. Brilliant write up, very much enjoyed them. Thanks

With plenty to do under and above water. It is now on the top of my list too. You need a drysuit however.

With plenty to do under and above water. It is now on the top of my list too. You need a drysuit however.

I tend to agree and, given the type of diving I do, I would personally always wear a drysuit. Note however that plenty of people dive Croatia wet and the water temp averages 25C/77F in summer.

- brett

I dive wet the whole year, but you do need a quality open cell wetsuit if you plan on doing any longer dives. Today I did my first checkout dive of the season on a rebreather and I had to get out of the water due to overheating in a 8mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom