Vintage tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quick question for all the vintage divers out there. I just aquired for free a set of steel tanks. They are old ICC 3AA tanks made in 1960. They had not been hydroed since then. They are pristine on the inside, and they hydroed (with a +) with no problem. I am thinking of turning them into a pair of doubles so I have a little extra gas when I am doing photography/videography. The diameter seems to be just under 7 inches (About 6.85 or 6.9). I just want to know if this sounds right on the measurements or did I measure wrong? I want to get the right size bands and not have to worry about shipping them.
Myles

Quick question for all the vintage divers out there. I just aquired for free a set of steel tanks. They are old ICC 3AA tanks made in 1960. They had not been hydroed since then. They are pristine on the inside, and they hydroed (with a +) with no problem. I am thinking of turning them into a pair of doubles so I have a little extra gas when I am doing photography/videography. The diameter seems to be just under 7 inches (About 6.85 or 6.9). I just want to know if this sounds right on the measurements or did I measure wrong? I want to get the right size bands and not have to worry about shipping them.
Myles

The standard diameter for a steel 72 is 6.9 inches. What size valve do they take?

Myles

I should say 2250 somewhere on those. Those are are old school 72's. They are about the best tanks ever made.
If they have 3/4" valves (the ones with O rings) then all you have to do is order a set of manifolds and bands for 7 1/4" tanks and they will work on the 6.9's.

The way I know is because I first ordered a manifold and bands (200 bar with DIN inserts from OMS) for a set of AL 80's (which are 7.25") from Leisure Pro. Then later I ordered a manifold and band set up for a pair of 6.9" 72's I was setting up, again OMS from Leisure Pro.
After I tore both sets down later it occured to me that they were both the exact same set when I lined them up to each other.
With the 6.9 72's the inside part of the bands where they squeeze together will come together closer because they're narrower tanks, but the distance of the valves center to center will be the same as 7.25's.

The set of 72's in this photo has one tank made in the early 60's just like yours. The manifold shown was made by Sherwood and sold as the Selpac in the 70's. The bands are custom made by Peanutking on ebay. This manifold shows up on ebay every now and then, I just checked under "sherwood manifold" and there are two listed. These are my favorite tanks for anything from 60 down to 130' and have a real sweet buoyancy swing.

I striped and repainted the tanks and the manifold has had the K section reversed so that a double hose and single hose reg can be used at the same time without any interferences.

TwinsandRegs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom