Vintage Scubapro Twin Tank back-pack style BC + US Divers Twin Tank J-valve Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formula1mb@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Long story short, a while ago I bought a set of old twin 72's and along with the tanks, I received an old Scubapro BC (back-pack style with plastic backplate) and it also had a US Divers twin tank, j-valve, single outlet manifold (2250 psi).

Since I converted the tanks to a newer style isolation manifold and am also using a new bp&w, I am selling all of the items as a lot.

I have no idea what all of this is worth so I'll start by asking for $100 OBO. I'd prefer local in southern California but willing to ship if someone really wants it.

Per the pictures, I'm including:

1. Scubapro twin tank bc----no idea of the lift or what model, please see pictures. It holds air for 5-10 minutes so it would need a little work if you want to use it. Sold as-is
  2. US Divers Twin Tank, Single Outlet Manifold (2250 psi) with reserve valve. This was installed on the tanks with a full 2200 psi and worked perfect.
  3. Misc rubber bands used on the tanks to install the tank bands
P1040805.jpgP1040806.jpgP1040807.jpgP1040808.jpgP1040809.jpgP1040810.jpgP1040811.jpgP1040812.jpgP1040813.jpg

It's a Scubapro Buoyancy Control Pack. Big news in the mid 1970's, and yours is a slightly later version - and it is identical to the one I started diving with.

Seam leaks were the common reason for pulling them from service. The leaks are hard to fix without creating an unsightly repair but you can work through the dump valve with aquaseal in a syringe and a long plastic tube to reach the leak from inside. If the material itself is stiff and "crispy" feeling rather than supple when you move/bend it, then it is impossible to repair as the neoprene rubber calandared to the nylon outer cover has degraded.

The inflator uses a proprietary attachment for the LP inflator hose - one that is no longer available.

It also requires a set of cam bands for single tank use - either the original stainles steel band, or a variant of the later nylon cam bands. You have the metal backing plates but you need the rest of the cam strap to make it useable.

If the fabric is soft and supple, rather than crispy feeling, I'd be interested in the BCP itself. I already have an unused new old stock USD J valve manifold in the closet, so I don't have any particular need for it. In used consition it's still probably worth $50 if the brass seating surfaces are in good shape and it shoudl sell well in the vintage forum by itself as it is both older and truly vintage.

Thanks for the history and overview, always cool to learn about these things!

About the BCP, the exterior itself feels pretty soft to me. If I inflate it and play around with the bladder, it feels pliable but some slight stiffness. Hard to say if it's normal or getting old but doesn't feel too different from my newer wings I have. Tonight if I have time, I will try to see if I can find the leak with some soapy water and take pictures.

I'd prefer to sell everything as a lot but if I don't get a buyer soon, I'll think about splitting it up.

DA, are you saying that the inflator would have to be replaced since a new hose wouldn't fit? Also do you know if the plastic plate will come off so the bladder could be used with a new plate? I asked via PM but thought two heads would be better than one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom