Vintage Scubapro MK5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old MK5 1st stage with R109 & R108 regulators. I bought this rig used back in 1978 when I got certified and it has been my primary gear ever since. I've been out of diving for about 10 years and want to get back into the sport again. After reading these forums I have learned that this gear is still serviceable and used by many people as their primary setup. I will be taking it to a local Scubapro authorized dealer for an overhaul and upgrade to the balanced adjustable. Unfortunately, the bubble deflector is missing from the octopus and the one on the R109 is not in the best of shape. My question is where can I get replacements for these? I suspect I will probably have to pick up a couple of spare rigs from Ebay just for parts. Appreciate any advise and tips anybody can offer.

The exhaust-tees are still supported by Scubapro as are the rubber covers so your local dealer should be able to take care of you.

BTW, if he tries to tell you that gear is too old to use, pick it up and leave. There are folks on this board that can do the job.

Thanks for the reply. The dealer was actually pretty cool about the gear. I know how some of them can be though. I've been doing this too long to tolerate being treated like a rookie. I realize that Dive stores are in business to make money but I would like to believe there are those that still have time for the customer that aren't breaking the bank on their first complete set of gear. I will shop around until I find that store.

There are several threads in the DIY area on older SP regs that go in great detail on keeping our favorite regs breathing like new.

If you really want to improve the Mark V, don't only look at the second stage. The Mark V first stage did not test in the U.S. Navy tests as well as the Mark I, which embarrassed Scubapro as the Mark I was much less cost. However, the Mark I had not only a flow-through balanced piston, but the opening was out of the top of the regulator, in line with the opening from the piston. The air did not have to make a 90 degree turn, as happens with the Mark V. So Scubapro dealt with that by developing a new cap for the first stage which had a LP port on the top. It may be that some shops may still have this as an upgrade kit. It's worth asking about.

SeaRat

I believe the cap you are referring to is called the swivel port. In the early days of the MarkV it came with a 2 port swivel, but there is an upgrade available to the 5 port swivel. Often those older ones were held in place by a clip, which tended to wear down, so an upgrade there is probably a good choice.

My 1st stage was an old mk6 pnuematic which I had converted to a mk5 back in the 80's. They converted it at that time to the 5 swivel port. Wish I had kept the parts for the old mk6 pneumatic though as I guess they are quit collectable now... Oh well!

Back
Top Bottom