Vintage gear found today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reg and backpack appear to be pretty nice cosmetically. I did notice the tank has a bushing for the valve. While there is nothing wrong safety wise with a bushing many dive shops are reluctant to fill one, assuming they notice. A machined bushing is OK but beware any cast bushings as they may not be rated for HP. I remove my bushings and valves when my cylinders go to hydro and send the tank only.

Concerning the bushing, this was a convenience for the previous owner. This tank has a 3/4 inch opening, and on e-bay used 3/4 inch valves are easily, and cheaply, purchased. So I would get rid of the bushing, use the valve for display, and put a newer 3/4 inch valve on that tank. That way, you will have no problems with the dive shops. Some actually prefer steel tanks over aluminum, and some won't fill anything but steel tanks.

SeaRat

Appreciate the advice about the tank, if it can pass vis and Hydro, I'll proceed in that direction and get rid of the bushing. That seems reasonable.

Seems like I've acquired 2 more regs. Another DA and an Mistral. Both are in worse condition then the one from the OP. However, I am confident that with this forums help and knowledge, they'll be restored to dive condition.

gawd, I think I'm turning into an addict.

They look like they can be restored just fine.

The Mistral should be no problem at all to restore. You'll need to clean it up, but it only has six moving parts. There are parts available at both Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba Supply.

The DA Aquamaster in the last photo shows some unusual color changes, and may have been associated with a fire. Take a good look at the rubber parts in the interior. If it was subjected to heat, it may need new diaphragms (high and low pressure), and other parts may have been damaged.

SeaRat

The Mistral should be no problem at all to restore. You'll need to clean it up, but it only has six moving parts. There are parts available at both Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba Supply.

The DA Aquamaster in the last photo shows some unusual color changes, and may have been associated with a fire. Take a good look at the rubber parts in the interior. If it was subjected to heat, it may need new diaphragms (high and low pressure), and other parts may have been damaged.

SeaRat

I think the colors you are seeing is just reflections. The paint on the label and the crown sticker are mostly intact. IMHO, any high heat would destroy the bonding/ glue on the crown sticker followed by the painted label. The hoses would have been a real mess also.

Added:
If you look real close, I think the weird colors is just the reflection of the yellow hoses, with all the bad brown stains.

Luis,

You may be right, but I cannot see these regs now, as apparently the photos have been removed...oops, there they are--don't know what happened there. Well, I now agree with Luis, and you have quite a nice find. Enjoy them.

SeaRat

:rofl3::rofl3: He has not even got one get going and is already addicted. We warned you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom