Vintage Double Hose Reg - Seahorse - Anyone ever seen one of these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd appreciate that. I don't know where to begin, I guess I'd have to say that it's not worth mounting the garage expedition if it woun't fetch say $750. I'll just save it for my son's college fund, can't loose value in ten more years.<G>

The Seahorse required an elbow adapter to mate to the single Aviators Breathing Oxygen tank. The brass piece in the photo is the adapter/CGA540. The reg in the picture is a very old model. The later mods did not have the knob on top of the can. In the 1950's, several companies carried this reg in inventory including Divemaster., The Seahorse was the only low priced reg to include non-return valves in the mouthpiece. Well, the expensive Northill had a shutoff valve. USD had a single, moulded hose/mouthpiece, no valves. I believe Dacor had valves at that time but not sure. Divair had them.

Mania, the 38 cf Aviator's tanks show up on EBay pretty regularly. Buy one; if it still has wire on it, strip it off, paint it, get an adapter and a repro tank harness. Presto, you're in the vintage business.

Creed:
That seems almost absurdly cheap. I've seen Aquamasters climb into that range.

I agree, especially considering that it came with all the goodies in great shape. I couldn't even venture to guess the value of a Sea Horse reg or I would have. I just thought I'd mention that auction for some type of reference.
The regulator in the auction was one of the earlier ones with the knob on top.
The first auction under Military Gear garnered 84 views. Figure this one out though: the second, and successful, auction under Vintage SCUBA got 495 views, was won by an ardent collector, and it STILL only got the amount I mentioned. AND (BIG "AND"), both auctions were mentioned several times on the Vintage SCUBA Supply forum where many collectors hang out. It was being followed pretty closely from day 4 of the first, obscure auction. In hindsight, had I had the money and had known that it would sell for what it did, I would have placed a bid. I'd bet that the winner/collector banked big money on his bid though.

duckbill:
In hindsight, had I had the money and had known that it would sell for what it did, I would have placed a bid.

Yeah, I know the feeling. There's a Divair just sitting in a private collection of someone I know, and I keep thinking about buying it off of him. I probably wouldn't keep it, but rather trade it for something I could use(preferably at a small profit). The problem is figuring out if a collector would pay anything over his price.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I bought a Seahorse reg with the double tanks about a year ago for $450. The UPS delivery man was kind enough to roll the box out of the truck to the pavement and snapped the manifold off the tank. Now I have junk!

Thanks for all the input guys. I really didn't know much about this peice. I have never seen one of these before.

Thanks again...

So.... How was your fishing expedition on EBAY? What price were you offered? It might be time for me to sell mine!

Enquiring minds want to know!

Back
Top Bottom