Viking drysuit alterations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biz_nate

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been coming to a grudging acceptance that my drysuit (Viking Extreme) is too big for me. It's my next equipment upgrade priority, so I'm starting to seriously consider two different options: replace, or alter the suit.

Replacement is expensive, and to be honest, I'm kind of attached to the suit, so alteration would be my preference. However, I've talked with a few people, and the story is pretty consistent: it's too hard to effectively seal the seams on their suits. For that reason, people seem pretty reluctant to cut into it.

So I'm putting a call out, hoping that someone in this big community might know someone who's worked with these suits before, and is confident that they can help me out. Preferably someone in the SF Bay Area, but I'm ok sending the suit elsewhere. The Bay Area is preferable simply because I'd prefer that a professional take my measurements.

Thanks for your help!

-Ben

Vulcanized rubber (VR) suits are the worst kind of suits to alter. In the mfg process the suit is built out of "raw" rubber and then "baked" (vulcanized) into essentially a single piece. This process changes the chemical structure of the rubber and cannot be repeated.

It may be possible to do alterations, but any new seam would not be as good as new, it would be a patch, and a rather large one at that.

Viking suits hold their value pretty well, you would probably be happier selling the too big suit and buying one that fits right.

The Extreme is the tri-lam suit. Mine was too big for me as well, I managed to find a demo that fit me for a decent price to replace it. Bob3 here on the board is a Viking dealer, might see what he knows.

Sell yours and replace it, lots less aggravation in the long run.

.02 from someone who's been there
Ber :lilbunny:

The Extreme is the tri-lam suit. Mine was too big for me as well, I managed to find a demo that fit me for a decent price to replace it. Bob3 here on the board is a Viking dealer, might see what he knows.

Sell yours and replace it, lots less aggravation in the long run.

.02 from someone who's been there
Ber :lilbunny:

Ditto on Ber's suggestions. If it's too big it's too big and all the putzing in the world will not correct the too-big.

Thanks for the input, all. Sounds like there's not much to do except start hunting for a new suit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom