Views on ice diving?

What best describes your view of ice diving?

• Do it all the time - I love it!

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Did it once - never again

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Never done it, but would like to do it

Votes: 115 52.3%
  • Not something that really grabs my interest

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Those guys are &$*^#ing nuts

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teaching a class near Milwaukee in Mid Jan. Will be over two weekends, I go into surface ice rescue as well. Give a yell, class is filling up with dry AND wet suit divers. Cheers, Bill

Actually, I did it twice, but there was no twice option. The cold was not as bad as I thought it would be (I was MUCH younger then) but I found it rather boring.

I used to do it at least 4 to 10 times in the winter to recover snowmobiles and ATV's that went through the ice. Many States have very nasty fines that grow per day that a machine is on the bottom.

But it is much to much like work - as it can be very hard work.

Other then that, do what floats your boat. But I find that most fresh water lakes and ponds in the North East are just not all that great.

But I would love a chance to do dives here:

Diving Under Antarctic Ice

Things I wished I'd thought of sounds like some great photo opportunities! I've posted this pic before on SB but here's our solution to cold weather for the surface support. My wife was inside the tent with a catalyst heater and our saftey ropes tied around her waist. That was back in 1978.

Once the ice hits, I will take several vacation days and dive as much as I can while the ice last.

I have a trailer with a generator that is kept around 80 degrees, regardless of the outside temps. I used to ICE dive wet, but at 47 years of age, I am begining to feel the cold. My three buddies that ICE dives with me dives wet still.

We do upside down water skiing. Put your feet on the underside (no fins) of the ice and have two line tenders "run" with the teether line and it pulls the diver on the underside of the ice like a water skier.

Well, in my local area lakes covered by ice from late November to ealier April so i gave nothing to do than go ice diving.
My favorite place to dive is river Neva ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neva_River ), but in winter i'm afraid go dive 'cause of drift under ice.
In any other case ice diving is fun if you not breaking rules of special ice diving. (Use cold water regs. and cord between diver and man on the ground)

Once the ice hits, I will take several vacation days and dive as much as I can while the ice last.

I have a trailer with a generator that is kept around 80 degrees, regardless of the outside temps. I used to ICE dive wet, but at 47 years of age, I am begining to feel the cold. My three buddies that ICE dives with me dives wet still.

We do upside down water skiing. Put your feet on the underside (no fins) of the ice and have two line tenders "run" with the teether line and it pulls the diver on the underside of the ice like a water skier.

When are you guys going to attached that rope to a snowmobile and really ski!:D

It's awsome! Especially if you're in a wetsuit. One more thing to note; When you fill out your log book after the dive, It's easy to remember what the surface temperature was. (It can't get any colder than 32*F.

Inspired by another thread, what best describes your views on ice diving?

Fantastic; especially if it involves exploring ice caves within an iceberg. It's like diving within a crystal city. Very cool! :)

Attachments

• An underwater ice cave .jpg
    An underwater ice cave .jpg
    17 KB · Views: 58
Fantastic; especially if it involves exploring ice caves within an iceberg. It's like diving within a crystal city. Very cool! :)

See I think I could do that once. But I still think its nuts.

When are you guys going to attached that rope to a snowmobile and really ski!:D

Knowing my luck, I would be pulled right out of the hole feet first and then I could say I ice skated on my head.

Back
Top Bottom