VIDEO: Warm water & Manta Rays in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Jacks Diving Locker does this combo dive. Not sure if other shops do the combo but many do one dive "the night dive". A MUST and a BIG MUST - check out the Pelagic black water dive Jacks offers - way COOL!!!!

Wow, so what was attracting all the Mantas to allow the divers to be with them over and over?

Plankton. The dive lights cause the plankton to collect, and then the mantas arrive. Hence the reason they come so close! :)

It is really worth the trip too. I would recommend Jacks as a dive op. Primarily because you do two dives that evening, unlike many of the operators who brought people out solely for the mantas, then took them back.

I think it helps to have as bright a primary light as you can reasonably schlep over there. The lights they hand out on the boat are about half as bright as a normal 8-cell LED, and if you have a brighter light then this seems to attract the mantas your way. Another good strategy if you want intimacy with the mantas is to position yourself next to the guy shooting video. His lights are super bright and he gets a ton of action. And when there are ten or so of them looping around the campfire, then everyone gets multiple flybys.

Another good strategy if you want intimacy with the mantas is to position yourself next to the guy shooting video. His lights are super bright and he gets a ton of action.

My strategy exactly! :)

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used Maui Dive Shop or Lahaina Divers? Whoever posted Jack's, thanks. I didn't know about that one so checking now. We are thinking of heading there around mid December.

The mana dive looks amazing so maybe if we don't use Jack's we can at least for that dive. Unless they also cover Molokai, Carthaginian, Lanai, or Molokini. I believe those are a couple dives the other guys wanted to see.

Thanks for posting the video. It look amazing. And the tips for hanging near the film crew with higher lights - nice tip.

How did I not see this thread? This video brings back all the great memories of the manta ray dive I did back in April. It was probably the best dive I had done! The video is awesome!

Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive shop are on Maui and theres only one day of the week you can try for a night dive (thats on thursday). The best shot at seeing the mantas would be to plan a few days in Kona.

If you are in Maui however I recently did a trip there and it was well worth lugging my dive gear and camera setup.

I dove with Lahaina Divers in Maui last month along with Mike Severns and BBScuba.

I have to say Lahaina Divers was a very well run operation and the staff is excellent, but the dives were timed to be kinda short (they wanted everyone back in 45-50min). I think this is because they end up with a lot of new divers.

Mike Severns is also good but they cancelled on me because of a light load one day. The DM's point out a lot of little things.

My favorite operation was BB Scuba. They made the diving just plain fun. No timed dives. We did a few drift dives, they had food and snacks on board and really asked us all what we wanted to see/get out of the days trip before they headed out.

Its a close call with all three ops, but BBScuba had the smaller boat/ smaller loads so it seemed like a much more personalized experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom