Video of rescue divers from the bridge collapse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be missing something here but if I was going diving in zero viz that was full of entanglement hazards then single tanks with yoke valves and regular fin straps would not be my first choice of gear.

So many of the PSD teams are basically nothing more than recreational divers using basic gear...but there are larger better funded crews. Around were I live most teams are very basic.

fairybasslet-Thanks for the post even if the rescue divers were Public Safety Divers. Many of rec. divers don't look at PSD forums. I understand the difference Rescue Divers vs. PSD but thanks for the clarity because maybe some rec. divers don't know the difference so thanks Gary D. gee was that the middle of the road response

ianr33:
I may be missing something here but if I was going diving in zero viz that was full of entanglement hazards then single tanks with yoke valves and regular fin straps would not be my first choice of gear.

This is what works for our team only but...
DIN isn't a bad idea but there are so many other gear selections that should be made before that (FFM, comms etc).
A quick d/c pony bottle is standard for allot of teams too. A true back-up air source should be required IMO

As for fins straps taping down the straps seems to work best for us. I dive spring straps in tech and tried them for PSD and they don't work well - A strap that can be cinched tightly down is sometimes required. I've had spring straps roll off my heels unknowingly when crawling through thick silt/mud

I don't believe these are the divers in Minneapolis, I think this is an "evergreen" story about public safety divers in general --or maybe a sidebar. But the divers interviewed are in Florida and as far as I know, they haven't brought any divers in from other parts of the country on the bridge collapse. In fact, according to on-scene reporters, they were only allowing about three divers in the water at any one time.

These divers, and the divers working at the bridge collapse, are certainly brave. We all, of course, wish them all the best and I agree, thank whatever you thank that they are there.

Jeff

In 1978 a barge being pushed by a tug boat rammed the US highway 51 Pass Manchac bridge in Louisiana knocking down a section and several cars and a 18 wheeler went down into the water with it. I was asked by local law inforcement to help with search and recovery. There was a heavy lift cranes working to remove the bridge debris in one area while divers were searching another area. While under water the sound of crumbling concrete and screech of metal being moved by the crane was what I remember most. The 18 wheeler was carrying a load of groceries and the bottom was littered with can goods and bags of flower and food other items. Fortunatly for me all the victims had been recovered by other divers but at the time no one was sure how many people had gone into the water. Depth was about 15 feet and vis was about 2 feet which was good for that area. Not something I would care to do on a regular basis.

What happens if rebar pokes a very big hole in his drysuit?

Plantation is near Miami, isn't it?

catherine96821:
What happens if rebar pokes a very big hole in his drysuit?

QUOTE]
You get a bit wet. I worry about taking a piece in the face or neck anywhere else isn't a big deal.

Gary D.

texdiveguy:
So many of the PSD teams are basically nothing more than recreational divers using basic gear...but there are larger better funded crews. Around were I live most teams are very basic.
This is what helps keep our body count up. :(

Gary D.

Interestingly, I dove with a couple of PSDs yesterday. Our group, of which they are a part, was doing a Point Pleasant, NJ inlet dive, (purely recreational) and they were part of our group. In fact, they were our guides. I didn't get into what kind of gear they use,:D but they are volunteers and they respond to a lot of boat accidents. Very interesting to talk to them.

Again, since I am not a technical diver, and really have no interest in becoming one at this point in my life, (I am more of a :dork2: )I never even knew this forum existed.

Back
Top Bottom