Video of rescue divers from the bridge collapse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't watched the video yet but divers doing this work are not Rescue Divers. So people have a better understanding they are Public Safety Divers (PSD) which is in a world all it's own. Rescue Diver is a term for a recreational diver. :wink:

Gary D.

OK, I just watched it and nothing has changed.

Gary is right, these are PSD's, which "generally" have considerable more training, more along the technical diver lines. A Recreational Rescue Diver, is just rescueing another recreational diver/snorkeler etc.

We have friends who are Public Safety Divers and I wouldn't ever want their job when they are dealing with recovery of victims. In our area, viz is often only to the end of your nose and to think how they accomplish a search and recovery gives me the willies.

Bless them, they are heros.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'm moving this over to PSD with a redirect in Basic Scuba Discussions

Whatever. The video was called "Underwater Rescue." I'm sure most divers knew I wasn't referring to rec divers shouting "Pizza.":shakehead

Well, they don't. Go and see my post about the callout last night about 300+ Adam Henry's. This is very common.

Gary D.

Gee, the way you edited this it looks like Gary D. is my alter ego and I'm talking to myself. LOL Notice I didn't capitalize "rescue diver" in my post, as you did. A bit of a difference

CNN requested Pete Gannon to assist in trying to show their viewers what Public Safety Divers face while searching underwater. The video is a reasonably accurate portrayal and gives the CNN viewers a "glimpse" of what PSDs do. It is in no way meant to show all aspects of Public Safety Diving, nor is it meant to take away from some of the REAL HEROS ... the PSDs who are actually doing the job in Minneapolis.

One of the other aspects is that there had to be SOME visibility in order to shoot the video. Most of the PSDs who read this forum know that in the "real world" visibility isn't typically as good as the visibility shown in the CNN video.

I join MANY in wishing the divers in Minneapolis the best in their efforts and hope they are able to conclude their mission safely.

BladesRobinson:
Most of the PSDs who read this forum know that in the "real world" visibility isn't typically as good as the visibility shown in the CNN video.
Yeah, which is why I posted this in the general diving forum, not PSD, to which I don't even subscribe to new posts. I forgot how OCD the mods are here.:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom