Video: MacAbee Beach with seals: March 1, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy said he looked like he was sniffing around, but I have my doubts about whether seals can smell things while underwater. Are they getting sensory feedback from their whiskers when they root around with their snouts?

They've done that to me also and I've always wondered what they were actually doing when it looked like they were sniffing underwater. I really hope someone has the answer to your question. :popcorn:

My buddy said he looked like he was sniffing around, but I have my doubts about whether seals can smell things while underwater. Are they getting sensory feedback from their whiskers when they root around with their snouts?

I found these snippets on wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinniped>:

"Pinnipeds can conserve oxygen for long periods of time underwater. When the animal starts diving its heart rate slows to about one-tenth of the normal rate. The arteries squeeze shut and the sense organs and nervous system are the only organs to continue to receive a normal flow of blood...

"A pinniped's eyes are well adapted for seeing both above and below the water. When diving the animal has a clear membrane that covers and protects its eyes. In addition, its nostrils close automatically. ... They also have whiskers to help navigate and sensors in their skull to absorb sounds underwater and transmit them to the cochlea.

I also did some research on the internet and I think they're just using their whiskers to check us out.

Found in the following website: "Whiskers can be extended forward to feel or inspect unfamiliar shapes and surfaces and are extremely important in low light situations. Blind harbour seals have been known to thrive in the wild."

AquaFacts

Found in the following website: "Whiskers can be extended forward to feel or inspect unfamiliar shapes and surfaces and are extremely important in low light situations. Blind harbour seals have been known to thrive in the wild."

Now that's impressive! I wonder if a blind seal cares whether it's night or day (try to answer that, Wikipedia!!)

Now that's impressive! I wonder if a blind seal cares whether it's night or day (try to answer that, Wikipedia!!)

Hmmm...since they can survive and even reproduce when they're blind, I really don't think they would care if it's night or day. :wink:

"Good vision does not seem to be essential to harbor seal survival; scientists have found blind but otherwise healthy individuals, including mothers with pups, at sea."

I could not find an answer, but I speculate that it would care for the warmth of a sunny day. :)

I did find a wikipedia page specific to harbor seals: Harbor Seal - Wikipedia

Certainly there are more detailed and even more accurate sources than wikipedia. But I like the one-stop shopping it gives me for basic info.

Kenn,
Thanks for that..very cool! Its great to see that the viz is holding out..looks as good as when I was there a few weeks back,which was spectacular for Monterey!
We did the same thing..did an ascent to get our bearings and said "holy crap we are out in the shipping lanes!" that was funny! I do love my 100's and nitrox for those places..no doubles though.. Im too old!

Ill be back on the 14th hope it holds out!

Kenn..if you dont mind me asking..what do you use to edit your videos?
I have a new cannon p/s that I am still trying to figure out?

Cheers,
Drew

We did the same thing..did an ascent to get our bearings and said "holy crap we are out in the shipping lanes!" that was funny!

Yep, we're never exactly where we think we should be, except maybe at Point Lobos, where there are tons of prominent landmarks in close proximity to each other!

We've swam under the shipping lane before (once we wanted to see what was out past 60fsw at MacAbee, so we swam straight out past MacAbee pinnacle), and it's amazing how you suddenly hear a lot of boat traffic above you. We've always treated these traverses as virtual overheads, meaning no surfacing unless in an emergency; diver versus boat doesn't seem like a fair fight!

Kenn..if you dont mind me asking..what do you use to edit your videos? I have a new cannon p/s that I am still trying to figure out?

My video is taken with a little Sony p/s as well, and I edit with iMovie 09 on a Mac. I'm fairly ADD and don't really want to spend more than a couple of hours to make a 5-minute youtube clip. IMO iMovie is the fastest, most easy to use program to get these simple videos prepared. The big downsides - Mac only, and it really doesn't have any advanced features, so it's probably much too limiting for more dedicated shooters/perfectionists, but it's very quick and intuitive.

Very nice video - thanks, but what's up with the rabbit after the credits?!

=)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom