Video: MacAbee Beach with seals: March 1, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken,

I thought I was watching a Jackie Chan action movie when I saw the beginning of your video, just action packed adventure in every corner... :)

MG

Any other suggestions welcome. Of course, I also just like the idea of having my rig up and away from any sand/dirt!!

The tables are a staple for Monterey diving. As others have mentioned, they're Husky brand X-Sawhorse tables available at Home Depot (I've never seen them in Monterey, but they're at every HD in the bay area I've visited). The new ones have black plastic legs rather than silver aluminum, but are rated for the same load. They're light, fold completely flat, and easily hold the weight of you + your rig. We usually kit up on them, put on our rigs, and sit straight on the tables until it's time to head into the water.

Thanks for always posting your videos so quickly Kenn. I've been diving vicariously through photos and videos lately. I need to dive soon......ugggh :shakehead:

The gorgeous conditions have really been a boon to photogs everywhere, huh? It looks like we have a storm swell peaking tomorrow and hopefully calming down for the weekend. Keep those fingers crossed!

Sarita75:
Very nice! I would love to try and get in another dive before I head to FL if anyone wants to try to make one.

That must have been a bit of a swim back for you all - suckage. But I like the ending and those seals were sooooo adorable and playful both with you and with each other. Lovely!

Sarah, when are you heading down to FL? Our res is full next weekend, but maybe the one after?

Actually, I took some liberties with my video editing since I didn't get any after-dive footage. We planned an ascent at our midway point to practice an SMB deploy and look around, but were nonetheless surprised to find outselves so far out. Fortunately, we still had half of our available gas for the return trip (that's when we ran into the seals).

I have to say, for non-tech, MacAbee and Lobos have really been where large single tanks or doubles proved their worth. I feel we've absolutely been seeing more on a single 2hr dive than with two 1-hr dives (plus saving the swim back and forth and SI in between).

I have to say, for non-tech, MacAbee and Lobos have really been where large single tanks or doubles proved their worth. I feel we've absolutely been seeing more on a single 2hr dive than with two 1-hr dives (plus saving the swim back and forth and SI in between).

Longer dives are also a reason to be using Nitrox to extend the bottom time at depth without running out of NDL time.

Oh just wait until you own a scooter :D Then doing one long dive further out is much easier. Plus you wind up using less gas for an extended bottom time.

Really I just wish I got to dive as much as you guys and gals.

Sarah,

When are you headed down to Florida? I'm leaving on April 8th and comming back the 18th... I just purchased the Action Wear 150 undergarments that are rated to 65 degrees, that should give me plenty of flexibility in those chilly Gulf Waters...

MG

Sarah,

When are you headed down to Florida? I'm leaving on April 8th and comming back the 18th...

MG

I'm planning a dive near Tampa around March 22. I still haven't decided on the Gulf or the Springs. Anyone care to offer which one is better?

And if you happen to be in that area and want to join me on a dive, let me know. (Or go reply to my thread in the Tampa dive club forum http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-tampa-bay-area/273495-best-dive-visiting-diver.html

Eric,

Unfortunately I arrive in April 8th and you'll have been gone. I am going to charter a boat off of Brandon which is really close to where my mom lives, Apollo Beach.

I can hardly wait to dive in Florida since I haven't dove anywhere else. The Floridians are really nice as I've been communicating with the shop in Brandon Fl, Scuba Quest.

MG

I almost spit my lunch out around 4:14 when the seal jumped out. That was hilarious. Thanks a lot for posting that.

I almost spit my lunch out around 4:14 when the seal jumped out. That was hilarious. Thanks a lot for posting that.

Apparently, that guy was all over me for a couple of minutes, even digging through my drysuit pockets! Of course I was completely oblivious to the whole thing.

My buddy said he looked like he was sniffing around, but I have my doubts about whether seals can smell things while underwater. Are they getting sensory feedback from their whiskers when they root around with their snouts?

Back
Top Bottom