Video: Latest Advanced Rec-Wreck Workshop held in Subic Bay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've started running some advanced recreational wreck diving workshops and thought you might enjoy a peek at the highlights of my last session. The workshops are flexible schedule and aim to extend the (basic/introductory) training provided at recreational 'Wreck Diver' level - without the full technicality and cost/training commitment of 'Technical Wreck' level courses. It's a non-certification workshop - the only reward is the skills and knowledge gained... no plastic cards for the poseurs.

I'd liken it to a comprehensive 'Cavern Diver' course/approach, rather than the (IMHO) lackadaisical course/s currently available for recreational wreck diving. I see the two overhead environments (cave and wreck) as being similar in risks and demands... and never understood why cavern-cave training was so much more rigorous and demanding than the wreck equivalent.

Here in Subic Bay, there's some very grey areas between 'recreational' (light-zone, 40m linear from surface) and 'technical' (no limits) wreck diving. I felt that the provision of extended training (with appropriate equipment, procedures and drills) was a benefit to any diver that wanted to get the best out of the diving here (or any wrecks) - but didn't want to go to the extremes required for the extensive and extreme penetrations that were also available at a full technical level.

Typically, the workshop starts with an 'Intro-To-Doubles' day. This introduces the use of double cylinders; fitting, configuration, trim, buoyancy, control, propulsion and contingency procedures (i.e. shutdowns). It draws heavily from the entry-level tech programmes, without extending into the use of stages, nitrox >40% or decompression procedures. The theory element covers gas management and precision dive planning. All skills taught are reinforced and further ingrained over subsequent dives on the wreck workshop (in case of this video - 10 dives total).

Contingency/safety drills are covered in open/shallow-water; including more extensive line laying/following/retrieval and lost-line, lost-buddy procedures etc. Much use is made of the 'black mask' for zero-viz simulations (training for the worst case scenario). Students are also introduced to the realities of silt-out in a deliberate scenario, but not in an overhead/confined environment (there's some nice silty patches in the Bay). Again, it draws heavily from the initial stages of 'Technical Wreck' level training, but retains the caveats/limitations imposed at recreational diving levels.

This is followed by a bunch of progressively more demanding wreck penetration dives into Subic Bay's larger wrecks - the USS Majaba (El Capitan), USS New York (ACR-2) and Landing Ship Tank.

Feedback from students who've already experienced the first 3 workshops has been overwhelmingly positive - especially in regard to their all-round diving skill development and increased confidence. Most importantly, they also develop a profound respect for diving in an overhead environment.

Would love some feedback on this concept... and the video (please note, video features a student - not a staged 'advertising' demo...)

[vimeo]36013044[/vimeo]

Coming from the perspective of someone who might potentially be at (or at least near) the level of considering taking this class, I have to say it sounds fantastic. Although I'm not (currently) super-attracted to wrecks (but then if I were there I might be, since there are so many) what appeals to me is a chance to try/learn about doubles with instructor support and no pressure, and also the coaching and expertise to learn the line skills and improve my diving precision.

I'm nowhere near "going tech" (and not even sure I ever will), but I've taken the PADI Wreck class and it did leave a bit to be desired, for me. Clearly there is a *huge* gap between that class and a "real" tech-type wreck class. A class like yours that fits into the middle of that gap sounds very interesting. I could see it being really useful even if (going back to) diving single tanks. And it would make no difference to me that there was no card at the end; I would just like the training.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom