IANTD- Tech Diver vs. Adv. Rec. Trimix Plus???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our local tech instructor teaches iantd and we just got through advanced nitrox and he brought up rec trimix. Started doing some research and here we are lol.

Is he the only tech instructor you know? If yes, I'd consider talking to other instructors and divers who did courses with other instructors. These chats will allow you to compare his standards with others and have a reference to understand how good your instructor really is.

Then, if you decide he is the right fit for you, I also think the rec trimix plus is the best choice.

P.S. f you are interested in caves too, have you thought about pursuing cave training before tech training?

Is he the only tech instructor you know? If yes, I'd consider talking to other instructors and divers who did courses with other instructors. These chats will allow you to compare his standards with others and have a reference to understand how good your instructor really is.

Then, if you decide he is the right fit for you, I also think the rec trimix plus is the best choice.

P.S. f you are interested in caves too, have you thought about pursuing cave training before tech training?
He is and we like him quite well so I’m willing to overlook the agency.

Seth

He is and we like him quite well so I’m willing to overlook the agency.

Seth

You are correct in not looking at the agency if the instructor is a good one. I actually never mentioned the agency in my post :) Indeed my point is another one, but maybe I was unclear, so let me rephrase a bit.

Tech training is rather more intense than rec training; skills are essential, and often, if a diver learns "wrong" skills, it is hard to correct them. Therefore, it is better to be reasonably sure that your instructor is good. Even personality plays a key role for obvious reasons.

Now, about personality, you already like that instructor, so that's half of the way. What about the other half? In other words, is he a skilled and capable instructor?

If the only tech instructor you know is him, it will be tough to answer this question because you do not have any references. Therefore, I would contact other instructors and chat with them to make a comparison, especially about the course's content and the level of skills that other instructors require to pass the course. I would also contact some tech divers who did not pursue any training with him for the same reason (quick chat with these divers, and then compare their courses with the one of the instructor you know).

At that point, you have a reference, and you can get an idea of how good the instructor you know is.

That said, it is only a suggestion, as it is the one of pursuing cave diving training before tech training (for many people, it is a better path, and it's cheaper, but it depends on the person). So feel free to do as you want :)

You are correct in not looking at the agency if the instructor is a good one. I actually never mentioned the agency in my post :) Indeed my point is another one, but maybe I was unclear, so let me rephrase a bit.

Tech training is rather more intense than rec training; skills are essential, and often, if a diver learns "wrong" skills, it is hard to correct them. Therefore, it is better to be reasonably sure that your instructor is good. Even personality plays a key role for obvious reasons.

Now, about personality, you already like that instructor, so that's half of the way. What about the other half? In other words, is he a skilled and capable instructor?

If the only tech instructor you know is him, it will be tough to answer this question because you do not have any references. Therefore, I would contact other instructors and chat with them to make a comparison, especially about the course's content and the level of skills that other instructors require to pass the course. I would also contact some tech divers who did not pursue any training with him for the same reason (quick chat with these divers, and then compare their courses with the one of the instructor you know).

At that point, you have a reference, and you can get an idea of how good the instructor you know is.

That said, it is only a suggestion, as it is the one of pursuing cave diving training before tech training (for many people, it is a better path, and it's cheaper, but it depends on the person). So feel free to do as you want :)
Thanks for the reply. I was fortunate to know quite a few people who trained with him and his reference list all checked out. He’s a very accomplished diver, is local to us, and is willing to tailor the training to our own schedules, goals and pursuits (my wife and I are both training with him). He’s not the only instructor in town but after all of our research he’s the best fit for us.

Cheers,

Seth

if you are already advanced eanx, why not just do normoxic or normoxic+?
I wasn’t aware that was an option. I’ll look into the course info. Thanks!

Although there's nothing more flash than

IANTD_Logo_small.png
Gotta love a technical diving agency that has a snorkel, BFK attached to leg, dangling integrated console, and perhaps Force Fins in their logo.

In
Gotta love a technical diving agency that has a snorkel, BFK attached to leg, dangling integrated console, and perhaps Force Fins in their logo.

Listen if you don’t take your snorkel on deep dives, we definitely can’t be friends!!! 🤣

and perhaps Force Fins in their logo
If they are Force Fins, they look like the Excellerating ones, which are long stiff and designed for technical kicks.

But that console is bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom