Video from the Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched the video before I read in your post that you were free diving!! I thought I was going to suffer D.C.S. and A.G.E. while watching the video :D. Once I read that you were free diving, I just thought how cool that must have been to scooter around this new impressive site. Great video and pics!

Thanks, I've already suffered age, 52. When I was a kid, I wanted to still be able to free dive to 65 ft. like some pacific islanders I had read about. Think it's possible if things go ok. Heard about a couple of German tourists in East Cayman dropping down to below 90 ft., no problem and without a scooter. They were in their early 70's. I understand!

The scooter allows you pretty much to practice static apnea, maximizing your bottom time, critically with comfort and minimal strain. I don't like to push breathhold limits on a regular basis, wears you out and brings you closer to risk of blackout. You are right about DSC though. You are so relaxed and usually not straining all that much that suffering nasty Type II DCS hits becomes a possibility depending on depth of course, surface interval (greater than 10 min. is a good idea) and speed of ascent in the shallower interval. There is a lot that can go wrong and we're still learning about things. So the risks can be elevated. Still, it is a great sensation to range over a good sized area on a breath.

I'm still working on the full length video. Hope to have it out soon. Should be interesting!

I watched the video before I read in your post that you were free diving!! I thought I was going to suffer D.C.S. and A.G.E. while watching the video :D. Once I read that you were free diving, I just thought how cool that must have been to scooter around this new impressive site. Great video and pics!

Thnx for the video!!

that is totally awesome

what is the length of that dive?

Thanks, no not really large at all, less than 5 l. Martin Stepanek told me his was 8 l and with packing, 12 l! When I taught myself how to free dive as a teenager, I concluded carrying too much air down in hyper-inflated lungs was a bad idea. So, I would partially inflate, even exhale a bit on descent. Mainly from a buoyancy perspective, kids? So, I focused on relaxation techniques and improving cardio efficiency. Lots of others go with maximizing lung inflation. So, they expanded lung capacity while I don't think I ever really did through free diving anyway. Their technique works well though. The dives are short usually under a minute and half. Distance, not sure particularly given a strong current that day. Perhaps the length in two breaths at deck level with the current. The main thing is having fun, grabbing some interesting images and taking steps not to pass out or hit something! Have a lot of projects, but the full video is still creeping along.

Free dove the new wreck off Deerfield on Sunday, "The Miracle of Life." Tricky with low viz, strong current and a narrow target in deep water. Not the best setting for a relaxing dive. Still, got some useable video, will go up in a bit. Two new wrecks in six days, didn't even hear about the Deerfield wreck going down until the day before.

Nice videos people on shooting on the Vandy! Thanks for putting them up.

Last edited:
Great pics Rick. I'm down here in Key West for the month (Jun) and got to dive her Sat. Quite impressive ship, upright and safe. There was a 3 foot barracuda at the stern under the canopy. Can't wait to see what decides to make it's home there.

Finally put the Full Video together!

The following is a video shot while scooter free diving along much of the length of the newly sunk Vandenberg Artificial Reef. It was placed about 7 miles south of Key West in 140 ft. of water. It landed on even kneel and provides a pretty amazing dive in the often clear blue waters of the Florida Current. Viz. was limited at about 50 to 60 ft. during the dive and there was a strong current running north. Still some interesting images came out of the dive. The video was shot with a Canon G9 digital camera in their housing with stills being shot every 2 seconds with a Go Pro 170 degree field of view camera in a chest harness.

[vimeo]5087227[/vimeo]

Scooter free diving can be hazardous. Don't try it without complete and proper training first.

vandenberg_libLg.gif

SiteChar.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom