Video: Epic dive to Breakwater Barge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the photos on Clinton's website:

The Metridium Fields

Thinking about it now, I don't remember if it was a Giant Spined (not spiny, my bad) Star, Pisaster giganteus, or an Ochre Star, Pisaster ochraceus (think I spelled that right). I think the color of the Giant Star in Clinton's pic is kind of unusual; most that I see are closer to the color of the ochre star. Either that or maybe I'\ve been mis-identfying them. Clinton?

Guy

Howdy!

From my (really hazy) memory of that time, it looked more like an Ochre Star, and yes, it was funny to see it perched on top of the bottle. :)

Some of you may remember when I was going out to try and find that round thing out in the kelp beds again. I did find it last weekend, now I think it is maybe more like an engine or a winch.
It was around something that looked like it could be an anchor, big cement block with a loop on the top?

I knew that this was going to make Guy's day!!! :D

Oh, that's not what I was thinking. Let me see if I can find what I saw...
Found it, it was a spiny brittle star. Haven't seen them at BW and this one was hiding

Hello, pacificgal!

There are lots of them there, but they tend to be deep in crevices in between the blocks. During the day I don't notice them much, but at night, since I like octopuses/octopi and I'm looking for them, I'm always "Is that one? Nope, brittle star. Could it be...? No, another star. And this one??? Oh, star, too." They don't have eyes, but their skin has some light sensitivity, and when you shine your light on them they retreat into the crevice, fooling me into thinking that I'm looking at a tentacle.
:)

Hi Fofo, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet.
That was the first time Ihad seen one, and I can understand how you say they like dark places, this one was in a crevice, I put it back into the crevice too.
I'm going to have to take a class or something to help me find stuff underwater. I come across an area and want to go back and have no idea where it was. Will search and recovery help with that? It will now be my mission to locate that "thing" again, except I only seem to find it when I'm not looking.

Hi, Kristina! Nice meeting you electronically -- ironically, maybe we've walked past each other at the Breakwater, hehe.

Yes, there are courses for search and recovery (where you learn how to look for and find stuff underwater and how to bring it out) and navigation (how to get from point A to point B).

Something that really helps is to know how you orient yourself. When shopping at the mall, do you keep in your mind a mental map of where you are in relation to the entrance, your car, etc? Or do you rely on visual cues, like which shops you have passed? Or do you memorize the turns that you have made? Some people kind of "sense" where they are, always. They know in which direction they need to walk to get back to the car, and I'm very impressed by that. I just have a tiny bit of that, I'm more into visual cues and having in my mind at least a basic map of the area (the dive site, the shopping mall, the city), so when diving I try to have at least a general description of the site and then I keep mental notes of noteworthy features -- but still, it's pretty impressive how similar some things look underwater! "Wow, was this the rock where I turned left? I thought that it was still far away." Since I don't have that magic internal radar or GPS, in complex sites I'm more into the "progressive penetration" where you gradually expand your range, learning the site little by little.

And also, don't worry too much about it. The ocean is pretty large and even in relatively simple places like the Breakwater there is enough area (and not enough visibility) to get anyone turned around. I remember finding one anchor block that was very interesting, but instead of swimming directly on an azimuth and counting kick cycles until I got to the wall or a known feature, I swam randomly on a contour looking for a known feature. And of course, when I tried to get back, I couldn't find it!:shakehead::idk: Another way when you _really_ want to find something again is to surface right there (if safe and possible, of course) and get some line ups with features on the beach.

Wow, I didn't mean this post to be this long! OK, time to go to bed.

LOL, you guys are funny.
Love the bunnies Kenn.
Thanks for the post Fofo, I've taken a navigation course, I can get myself from point "a" to point "b" (and back to point a) if I have a compass heading. I tend to go pretty far when I dive, I'm amazed at where I surface sometimes.
I get lost in malls, lol, can't tell you how upset I get when I exit and walk around the whole outside of the mall, near tears, because I can't find my car. Can't really call AAA for that.
I'm going to look for the barge tomorrow, thanks to Kenn I now see what I'm to look for, however viz today at BW was pretty bad, surgy too. Hope it gets better for tomorrow.

Eric, without knowing if your SAC falls at one of the extremes, a single will work, but something larger than an 80 is preferable; with an 80 you tend to be limited to a single quick circuit and return (unless you're like one guy I know, who seemingly only breathes once in a while to convince the rest of us he's human:D). I do the barge on a 100 all the time, and generally can go from the wall out and back, spend 5-20 minutes there and return to the beach, for 45 minutes to an hour's dive.
Guy

As a relatively new diver, my SAC rate is all over the place. I don't have the equipment to see it instantly, but I calculate it for the whole dive when I can. I've calculated anything from .5 to 2.5, but typically it runs .7-.9 unless I get uncomfortable for some reason. I make up for the poor SAC rate by diving HP130s. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom