Video editing from a produced video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve finally got some very brief video segments of me diving within a ‘Dive Video’ I am hoping to pull out to study my technique. I’ve been fussing with some software but it appears more directed at editing raw footage. The bottom line is probably my intuition is not compatible, but I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time trying to figure it out.

Questions:​
  • Is it possible to pick apart a video produced by someone that does this for a living? They being smart and wishing to preserve their ‘artwork’ making it unable for me to mess with?
  • Is the idiot proof software bundled on a new snazzy made for media like videos not able to pull out segments and play at very slow speeds, stop and start, fast forward and back?
  • Help has nothing remotely what I’m looking for. I can’t even figure out how to find the parts I want. Am I far more backward (less than an idiot) than I assumed regarding operating controls?
  • If I keep dinking around with it am I going to destroy the video, just screw it up?
Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Not exact – don’t want to take up your time walking thru each mouse click but perhaps some pointers I expect are common general knowledge (except for me.) I’ve never done any of this before, I recall operating a video camera once, around 10 years ago LOL.
Mahalo

Its fully possible to edit a video, more or less regardless of whats been done with it, but it might be some work involved.
Id suggest making a backup copy before messing around with it in any way.

TMPEGenc is one program that can be used to alter video files..

either:

what format is the video file or

what media is it on? Is it on a DVD and you are ripping it and then wanting to edit it?

Are you starting froma DVD? If so you probably won't recognize the files on it as actually being video files. Instead of being .avi or .mpg or something like that they'll be .vob files.

The advice from roughwater to go to the videohelp site is right on the money. You'll learn ALL you need to know right there.....

Yep, .VOB files. Any hints or search words to use for the video help site? I tried to copy the DVD onto my huge storage drive – for just this sort of thing and pretty sure it was unsuccessful, I’ve no idea what went there and seem to have nothing to even play what was copied.
I'm trying agin now with Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7.
Do I have to do the DVD copy to a DVD disc? I don’t have one and unable to tell from what parameters available to choose one.
I’m feeling more and more clueless :shakehead: greatly appreciate the help.
What would ripping be? Mainly I want to isolate the segments that show me diving so I can play them slower and see what I’m doing. In the DVD they are very brief.

Yep, .VOB files. Any hints or search words to use for the video help site? I tried to copy the DVD onto my huge storage drive – for just this sort of thing and pretty sure it was unsuccessful, I’ve no idea what went there and seem to have nothing to even play what was copied.
I'm trying agin now with Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7.
Do I have to do the DVD copy to a DVD disc? I don’t have one and unable to tell from what parameters available to choose one.
I’m feeling more and more clueless :shakehead: greatly appreciate the help.
What would ripping be? Mainly I want to isolate the segments that show me diving so I can play them slower and see what I’m doing. In the DVD they are very brief.
Well you were already given the link:
VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists

However there's a down and dirty method too.

Copy all the vob files to your hard disk.
Rename them by changing the extentions to either ".mpg", or ".mpeg". They are actually virtually indentical to MPeg 2 format, apart from subtitles.
You should now be able to load them into whatever video editing software you are using - and edit them to only contain the bits you want.

Afterwards, if you want to play them back over a normal DVD player you'll need to re-author them (which will once again create .vob and .iso files)

Really - EVERYTHING you need to know about this is on the linked site. It's where I learnt it all to start with! :D

It was no shocker how little of much I didn’t know but with a bit of getting pointed in the right direction I was able to find myself. Mahalo Zen Man, that was the link I had know idea what I was looking for.:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom