video camera? help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirensmyst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK I may as well get right down to it....I am looking for information on videocam's....so far I like the SONY TRV-33, PC 330 and TRV950. Anyone have information on these? Likes? Dislikes? We have a C5050....used it extensively so far. sirensmyst

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

We have a forum just for Photography; why not seek your answers on this there, for better results...

don

:D

sirensmyst:
OK I may as well get right down to it....I am looking for information on videocam's....so far I like the SONY TRV-33, PC 330 and TRV950. Anyone have information on these? Likes? Dislikes? We have a C5050....used it extensively so far. sirensmyst

The 950 will give you the best results but is more expensive and bigger. You should also take a look at housings. The cost, size and features of the housing may affect your choice on the camcorder.

You may also want to check on Digital Diver. There's a forum there dedicated to video and lots of knowledge.

I have used a TRV-17, TRV-900 and TRV-950 camcorders in several different housings. The 900 and 950 do give slightly better results, but I find the improvbement is not worth the substantial increase in expense. In fact when I am working for one of my clients, I often use my TRV-17 instead of their TRV-950 and they are quite happy with the results.

I think one of the reasons is that the 3-CCD system in the 900 and 950 does not perform as well under low light conditions (deep water, late afternoon, overcast) due to the splitting of the light beam. The TRV-17 seems to do better under such conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Bill

Sorta depends on your goals balanced with your budget...
Advice is worth what you pay for it... Mine is simple: Never house a camera you aren't willing to flood.
So my housed one is a JVC GR DV800, replacement cost under $500.
Here's a page with a couple of clips (of course since it's compressed for the web the quality's not nearly as high as the original, but you get the idea) taken with that camera. Depth about 50ft; near Bimini. (Loggerhead and the Shark feed)
Rick

I have the 33 & the 950. Use the 33 all the time and it is the usual camera we put out on our tours for videos for clients. We do not use all of the features of either camera on most occasions...if you are going to really really get into it, buy the 950. If you are doing it for fun and will edit a bit, but not extensively then I would go for the 33. About half the size and probably cost, too.

Never had a problem in any light. Just point and shoot on the 33 most days. Use Amphibico housings - have five and never a problem (knock wood).

digitaldiver.net under Moving Pixels will be able to give you much more in depth info on these units...it all depends on what you will use it for and how much you want to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom