Video: Blue water at Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think I've only been diving the dry gloves for about 5 dives - guessing they will take a little while longer to get use to? How long did it take you to pass the fumbling stage?

I used 7mm wet gloves prior to going to drygloves, so I never stopped fumbling :) IMO the drygloves give me more dexterity than the wet, but one of these days I'll have to try 3-5mm gloves.

I agree, clipping gloveless in warm water is pure joy, doing so even makes me look half-good :)

For me drygloves have been quite a trade off. I have o.k. dexterity if they're squeezed down on my fingers which causes them to be a bit colder. If I allow them to equalize using cave line, then my dexterity is noticeably less precise.

I'll add another agreement for the redundant sealing.

I don't think anybody is as quick and accurate with their hands in heavy gloves, whether dry or wet. But one does get used to them, and it does get better.

I wouldn't go back to wet gloves for anything.

I started drysuit diving with thick drygloves, the compressed Neoprene DUI gloves, incredibly warm and toasty but removing things out of my pockets almost impossible and very frustrating.

Never experienced wet forearms or cold hands; because I never dove with just wrist seals while diving dry.

When I got the SI tech rings with smurf gloves things changed, my dexterity came back and I can reach in my pockets and remove wetnotes, etc.

I can even detach/attach SPG on D-ring, which was a problem before in thicker gloves.

I'm still warm but not toasty warm, huge trade off in dexterity and will not go back to the gorilla glove unless I dive Puget Sound where it's much colder.

Now that I think about it, I might just get a Otter helmet just to see if I get any warmer than I already am, I'm starting to feel greedy... :)

I would never go back to wet gloves, I hated them with a passion when I was a wet suit diver, it was beyond miserable, I don't have words that describe how cold the hands got.

Last edited:
What are these wet gloves you people speak of that are so cold?

I dive the Deep See Dry Comfort gloves and was diving in Alaska. Water temp at the bottom was in the 30's and the only thing on me that was cold was the area on my face that wasn't covered by my Otter Bay 12mm hood.

Oh, and I DO have DC smurf gloves, too. I prefer the Dry Comfort gloves.

I love my dry gloves! I find I have as much dexterity, if not more, than with my Dry Comfort gloves and now I can actually use my fingers after a dive. They were the best wet gloves I tried, but my hands still froze in them.

I would never go back to wet gloves, I hated them with a passion when I was a wet suit diver, it was beyond miserable, I don't have words that describe how cold the hands got.

Is that comment meant for your dive buddy :wink:

What are these wet gloves you people speak of that are so cold?

I dive the Deep See Dry Comfort gloves and was diving in Alaska. Water temp at the bottom was in the 30's and the only thing on me that was cold was the area on my face that wasn't covered by my Otter Bay 12mm hood.

Oh, and I DO have DC smurf gloves, too. I prefer the Dry Comfort gloves.

I use regular (Thermocline? Thermoflex? Bought them used) Deep See 5mm wet gloves and have reasonable dexterity. My hands seem to be good for an hour or so, but I tend to swim a lot. I suspect once I start doing tech dives with deco hangs I'll move to dry gloves.

Guy

I uase the Deep See Dry Comfort gloves too..they are awesome! Since going dry..my hands are warm!
Mike if you get a OB helmet..get it a size bigger-a lot of people find them (myself included) a bit small and very tight and uncomfortable in the jaw area. I streched the s--t out of mine over a tank for an extended pweriod and its still a bit tight? Bruce at Aquarius and several other ppl have had the same problem..(just my 2 cents) Awesome warm hood though!

I streched the s--t out of mine over a tank for an extended pweriod and its still a bit tight? Bruce at Aquarius and several other ppl have had the same problem..(just my 2 cents) Awesome warm hood though!

One of the older OB threads suggested that stretching the hood itself isn't enough to help with jaw fatigue. However, if you stick the hood over a tank, and stuff a small bowl where the chin goes, you can stretch it out enough to prevent lockjaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom