Video: 8/15/10 at Lobos (Wow!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still floored by yesterday's dive! I was scheduled to be out of town this weekend, but some last-minute changes and an understanding SO allowed me to be at Lobos for August's first dive back after his son was born.

And nature pulled out all the stops! We had glass-like conditions for the past couple of weeks and it certainly held for Sunday. After getting skunked 4-5 times on attempt to reach the 3 Sisters on a kick dive, we finally made it with a combination of good vis and pooling of our navigational "talents." And we saw some big, gorgeous fauna to boot, including a large egg yolk jelly, a playful adult harbor seal, and a big, big leopard shark (I thought these guys took off in the late spring!).

Even better, Steve volunteered for camera duty (he claims I threw the rig at him and immediately swam off) so I had one less thing on my plate to worry about.

The vis is what I'd call a "good" 20ft or so, particulate-free and with a misty, soft glow that makes everything look more interesting. The kelp coverage is over the top, and it can get amazingly dark under the canopy. But it makes for gorgeous ambiance. It looks like conditions are continuing to hold nicely too, so get out there soon if you can!

[youtubehq]YQ10aUeUbW8[/youtubehq]

Great video, loved the seal and the shark. I understand team dynamics were compromised a bit by the shark, but in my opinion, that's OK, it was a beautiful shark. And he did come back, after all...

Ken,

Just another surperb video, excellent editing of pieces and the song is just perfect. I have a question? With Steve on hot pursuit of the leopard shark, which fin kick was he using to keep on par?

MG

Cool video, makes me wish I was underwater right now - incredible kelp canopy, + love the rabbits.

Thanks!! Just a note to not take the captions all too seriously, one of the things we actually put in a special focus on the videographer to not disappear on the rest of the team (and for everyone else to keep an eye out in case the guy with the camera is trying to get a shot). Doing this actually makes it very easy to almost instantly come to an understanding about a particular course of action when a skittish critter comes into view :)

Mike, Steve gets crazy propulsion out of his frog kick, and that's what he used to keep pace while shooting (though you can easily see that the shark wasn't particularly impressed with his speed).

Another excellent video. And it was great to see August back in the water, I was kinda shocked actually.

amazing video, thanks a lot.
I like to dive 2 hours in cold water, so, if one day you are open to dive with a rebreather-nice-french-diver, please contact me !
I am free this week end !
Mickael

Back
Top Bottom