Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10-20 feet at Ten Mile Point on Saturday. Current prediction remains voodoo and black magic for me.

I think our problem was that someone forgot to explain to the water at Ten Mile Point how gravity works exactly. Either that or the tide table was about 3 hours off?

I think our problem was that someone forgot to explain to the water at Ten Mile Point how gravity works exactly. Either that or the tide table was about 3 hours off?
You do know that current tables don't match flood and ebb peaks right? Also tide tables do not use daylight savings time. I believe you need to use Race Rocks current table and add an hour for 10 mile if I'm not mistaken.

Is it add an hour or minus 20 min. I have heard minus 20 min. Anyone know?

Thanks Ron

use baynes channel which is minus 15 minutes from the race passage current table ( July 8th best time would have been 5:30 am to 8 am) or dive it when it is going from an ebb to a flood current

Attachments

• race passage.JPG
    race passage.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 44
For Saturday July 12th, slack was at 14:08 pm (Pacific Daylight) at Race Rocks, or 13:53 for Baynes Channel (-15 minutes). We looked at Ten Mile Point at 10:00 am, went to Spring Bay and went down there 10:50 and swam to the wall at Ten Mile Point, then back to Spring Bay in 45 minutes. We experienced practically no current.

Then we drove back to Ten Mile Point and went down at 14:02, a bit later than planned because I dropped a fin. Both at 10 am and at 14:00 there was a surface current from Spring Bay towards Victoria, but at depth there was little current. By the time we got out that current was quite fast in the upper 20 ft, but at depth there was little current.

The tide prediction for Finnerty Cove for that day only had two entries
07:32 0.8 2.6
23:12 2.7 8.9

I'll have to agree with Skookumchuck there's some black magic involved :confused: Nearby Oak Bay has similar numbers for tides, although the times are shifted by half an hour and an hour, respectively. Pedder Bay, which is I think closer to Race Rocks is shifted to 6:19 and 21:41 from Finnerty Cove.

at 11 on sat the current in baynes would have only been about 2 knots and ten mile is in a bit of a back eddy on a flood current so it would have been going toward victoria after 1400 the current would have been picking up on the ebb................or you can buy a bag of dried chicken wings and bats toes from the LDS and dive ten mile anytime with no current

Ahh, that's what those jars at the shop at Ogden Point are for. Thanks!

From the time I arrived at 8:30 until we left at about 3:00 the current ran towards Victoria. But even without a jar of wings and toes this dive is worth trying whatever prediction method you care use. Naclydogg where do you get the numbers for Baynes Channel?

I use a tide program, but I think that Baynes is listed as a secondary station in the tide and current table , and that is where the program gets the info. The primary station is current at race passage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom