Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy and I dove Sooke Potholes yesterday: this was my first freshwater dive ever. We went past the 'main' parking lot up the hill to the second and followed the path down to "Crescent Beach". A short hike akin to Mack Bight but more vertical so we had to go very slowly coming back up after the dive.

The water is exceptionally clear - no idea what the vis was but probably > 50'. The bottom is rock pebbles and the sides are rock formations. No noticeable current until we reached the head end. No hazards, caves or obstructions. Water temp was 57F by one computer and 60F by the other.

The dive was shallow - the max indication on the computer (calibrated for salt water of course) was 27' but much of the dive was at 10' or less. I was down for 86 minutes and still had 1/2 tank left.

There was more life than expected. We saw sculpin-like bottom fish about two inches long, crayfish about the size of a hand and lots of trout ranging in size from about a fingernail to maybe 8 inches long. They are not shy of divers and frequently swam right by our masks.

This site is a popular cliff-jumping spot on hot summer days. Thankfully there was nobody around. On the bottom around that area we found/retrieved:

• a 'Ironman' digital watch - still working but missing buttons and plastic faceplate
  • a kids mask and snorkel
  • $1.25 in change - we donated to the 'Park Watch' organization
  • a colorful glass pipe of some kind, broken
  • about 20 beer cans and a few bottles, some broken

Fun to do something different.

Henderson PT yesterday, 15 to 20 ft above 70ft. Under 70ft a good 50+ft.

Henderson PT yesterday, 15 to 20 ft above 70ft. Under 70ft a good 50+ft.

Hey Al, Leon, Harry and myself are going to be on Ken's boat this saturday. Why don't you take your meg out for a spin.

Hey Al, Leon, Harry and myself are going to be on Ken's boat this saturday. Why don't you take your meg out for a spin.

What dive are you guy doing, The Cape, Snake wall? I already made some plan for next Saturday but you never know they could be some change:wink:

Al

What dive are you guy doing, The Cape, Snake wall? I already made some plan for next Saturday but you never know they could be some change:wink:

Al

Yes to both.

I motored my canoe up Saanich Inlet today. The first thing I noticed was the bizzare murkiness of the surface water. It was a reddish colour (I guess it was a freakishly intense plankton bloom) and there was a mat of scummy, greenish plankton floating on large parts of the inlet. I went up well past Christmas Point and it seemed to keep getting worse. I finally tried getting in the water figuring I could get under it. I went in across the Inlet from Christmas Point. The visibility was around 6". I tried swimming down along the bottom, but I couldn't see anything and kept bumping into rocks (or seals or six-gills...). I finally decided to swim out abit on the surface and descend in deeper water. By the time I got 10 feet deep, it was pitch black. That plankton sure blocked out the light. I made it down to 60 feet deep (with my light shining on my computer a few inches from my face) before I got creeped out and gave up. That was probably my shortest and crappiest dive to date. The surface visibility didn't seem as bad closer to Goldsteam Marina, so I tried another dive near Sawluctus Island. Here visibility was around 3-6 feet. I made it down to 80 feet, and it didn't clear. And of course it was dark. I've seen bad visibility in the Inlet, but never anything like this. Hopefully it doesn't last long. September is usually my Inlet "combo" month (nice weather on the surface and reliably good visibility underneath).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom