Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjfox:
10 feet or so at Beaver Point on Saltspring. Great site though! Like Ten Mile Point, but with better rock formations.
Someones been harvesting scallops there, lots of fresh empty shells. I thought it was honoured as a local reserve?
A couple of years ago when I went there, I saw piles of rock scallops on the wall. I didn't mention it on my website because I was worried someone would go and clean them out. I went back about a year later and it looked like most of them were pried off the wall. There was just the bottom parts of the shells stuck to the rock.

Hit the slack at 10-Mile yesterday afternoon. Upon descent it immediately turned into a 'night-dive' with vis under 6'.

We managed to have a nice dive anyway by moving along the wall/bottom slowly, sticking close and focusing on the small things we have seen a hundred times but never really looked at.

Did a great series of dives with Skookumchuck yesterday and today. Yesterday we went to Ogden Point to see the wolfeels. Visibility was about 30 feet. This morning we went to Ten Mile. Conditions were about as perfect as they can get. Bright and sunny, dead calm, no current and best of all, the vis was the best I've ever seen it there (at least 40 feet). We saw 2 sealions on the surface and another 2 underwater (I wasn't fast enough for pictures). This afternoon we went back to the wolfeels at Ogden and vis was around 30 feet again. Nice and bright. I'll put the photos on my site when I get around to sorting them out. I took alot.

Vis is pretty awful in the inlet these days due to the continued algae bloom. Sunday in Deep Cove and last night at Willis it was impossible to see our own fins shallower than 45' -50'.

Deeper than 45' the vis improves a little bit, but there is still lots of particulate in the water, and the layer above makes any dive a night dive.

If you catch the tail end of a flood at Ogden or Ten Mile these days, the vis is actually pretty good.

Still lots of stuff in the water at Mack Bight yesterday, all the way down to 100'. Like driving at night in a snow flurry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom