"Vicious Seal Attack" at Isle of Shoals - caught on tape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've treated seal bites several times. Stoopid people on the beach trying to pet them, or thinking they were stranded and trying to drag them back into the water. Nasty, nasty business. They're cute, but I'd rather they stay the hell away from me in the water.

Only encounter I ever had uw with a seal was long ago in Monterrey Bay, but over 20 years later I still remember it, it left such a strong impression!

A shadow came in from my right so fast I had no time to react, a part of my mind was screaming "shark!". Suddenly a seal "kissed" my mask, spun on his tail, and was gone just as fast as he/she came!

WOW!!!! My mind was doing somersaults it was such a rush, but my poor heart was still stuck on "shark!"

I realized that day in a way I never had before, just how poorly we really are adapted for their element, compared with the hunters in the sea around us. Glad he was playing with me and not being aggressive!

Same exact thing happened to me in June in Monterey. Cruising along at ~50 ft right off the breakwater near Metridium fields and then *BAM* sea lion grinning at me. I nearly lost my reg I was laughing so hard. Awesome experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom