Question Backplate risk of cutting wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd just not worry about it, it looks fine.
That was just a pic for reference, when inflated I set it on the table and the bottom portion was kinked under the backplate, pushing in against the edge. I think I’ll deburr the edges and maybe put some kind of tape on the bottom just to be sure .

You might also remember to pull the hip dump valve while walking back to your seat on the boat.

While I understand your concern, it is just not an actual problem. I personally have 3 wings, the oldest of which is an almost 20 year old Oxycheq that I still dive multiple times per week. Our rental fleet has over 40 BPW bcs, of several brands and ages. We've had bladders fail, we've had exteriors come unstitched, we've had cross threaded dump valves and inflator hoses, and we've had some that were still going fine even though they were a million years old and ugly as sin.

I've never seen wear at the bottom of the plate, certainly not to the extent of even noticing it, let alone it causing a problem.

I feel as though I’m channeling Tobin, but I did once get a pinch flat in my wing from a backplate corner — not during dive ops, but from packing. Now I detach the wing and pack it inside the wetsuit.

A length of something like this will prevent chaffing:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 9.02.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 9.02.20 AM.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 28
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom